The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tips to secure tank (earthquake)

This is a discussion on Tips to secure tank (earthquake) within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Hi guys, I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and we are very prone to large earthquakes. I'm terrified about what ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LunaCarlos is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Tips to secure tank (earthquake)

Hi guys,
I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and we are very prone to large earthquakes. I'm terrified about what might happen to my axolotls in the next big earthquake and wanted to know what I can do to secure my tank. I live in a rental property, so I can't go drilling holes in my walls.
Also, I usually fill my tank with tap water as it is chlorine free, but when we have large earthquakes the city adds chlorine to our water to kill germs and I am wondering how I would go about doing water changes after an earthquake, as the chlorine can remain in the water for several months. Added is a picture of my tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Attached Thumbnails
Tips to secure tank (earthquake)-beautyplus_20170821143346_save.jpg  

Last edited by LunaCarlos; 21st August 2017 at 02:48. Reason: Forgot to add photo lol
LunaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Tips to secure tank (earthquake)

Well, if I were that worried I would keep it on the ground instead of the table. Maybe get a Rubbermaid type of plastic tank and lid to help keep things inside if it shakes, even if it 's a screen type lid. Finally there are chemicals we put in the water that has chlorine in it that neutralizes the chlorine. In the US an example is "Prime."

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LunaCarlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
Well, if I were that worried I would keep it on the ground instead of the table. Maybe get a Rubbermaid type of plastic tank and lid to help keep things inside if it shakes, even if it 's a screen type lid. Finally there are chemicals we put in the water that has chlorine in it that neutralizes the chlorine. In the US an example is "Prime."
Thanks for your reply :) I will look into Rubbermaid. The tank is poorly designed in the first place, with glass lids. I will also look into buying some chemicals to neutralise the chlorine. Do you think putting some clear packing tape around the base of the tank could prevent cracks if there was to be an earthquake? Thanks

LunaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I can't imagine it would hurt...it could help stabilize the structure.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack