Caudata.org

Caudata.org (http://www.caudata.org/forum/)
-   General Discussion & News from Members (http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-general-topics/f5-general-discussion-news-members/)
-   -   Whatís your favorite type of Taricha? (http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-general-topics/f5-general-discussion-news-members/110573-what-s-your-favorite-type-taricha.html)

Anonymous User 7th December 2017 17:33

Whatís your favorite type of Taricha?

I would choose the Mazama Newt only because it is a rare subspecies

sde 7th December 2017 21:47

Re: Whatís your favorite type of Taricha?

All of them. I keep two of the Taricha species and they are both cool. Iíve also seen the other two species that I donít keep. Taricha in general are a great genus, I canít choose just one.

T. g. mazamae isnít a legitimate subspecies. There are animals with dark markings found at various areas throughout the Cascade mountain range in Oregon and Washington, and elsewhere. Most scientists donít consider it a ssp anymore for that reason. In reality, T. granulosa with dark markings arenít all that uncommon. Iíve found plenty of them, and know of populations that have a high number of dark marked individuals (outside of Crater Lake).

Anonymous User 7th December 2017 22:22

I seriously just found out about the Crater Lake Newt so I didnít know.

bellabelloo 7th December 2017 22:32

1 Attachment(s)
I am partial to granulosa, mainly as it's the only ones I have :happy:

Methos5K 8th December 2017 00:56

I also keep two species, torosa and rivularis. My group of torosa went aquatic when I got them and have stayed that way ever since. I have them in one of my larger display tanks; and I love to watch them "waddle-swim" around. Definitely one of my favorite species to watch.

Rivularis are damn beautiful looking; but also are one of the most secretive animals I keep. And I keep caecilians. Once in a blue moon I will catch them out looking to take a quick dip in the water dish or grab at bug; but otherwise it is a large tank with cork bark and moss in it. :D

juliesr 14th December 2017 17:49

I feel those who voted rivularus have never kept the species.

Anonymous User 15th December 2017 02:58

Those granulosa look so cool

Anonymous User 15th December 2017 03:00

Your lucky to be able and keep rivularus.

Anonymous User 15th December 2017 03:04

That might be true Julie but they are a pretty nice taricha species.

otolith 18th December 2017 16:49

Rivularis followed by Torosa for me. I grew up herping for them, love hiking the remote and rugged areas favored by T. rivularis. I do think Torosa are a lot more engaging to keep but both species are some of the easiest larvae I've ever raised.