The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Unwelcome guest

This is a discussion on Unwelcome guest within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Whilst feeding my Pleurodeles I spotted this inch long dragon fly nymph in the tank. He must have stowed away ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2006   #1 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Whilst feeding my Pleurodeles I spotted this inch long dragon fly nymph in the tank. He must have stowed away on the pond weed. I'm sure he would have made a tasty snack but I thought it best to fish him out. Fortunately there were no larvae in the tank.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th June 2006   #2 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

do you keep your tank outside or are your pleurodeles in a pond???

Old 7th June 2006   #3 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Chris, no they are indoors. The plants that go in their tank are from outdoors however, and unless you wash them well they always have beasties attached. There is normally a selection of invertebrates living in my aquatic tanks but rarely do I find a large predatory animal like this.

Old 7th June 2006   #4 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

you are lucky 'cause I found a water bug the size of an index finger in one of my ponds outside.....I found it when I was cleaning the big pond rocks cause usually the birds have a tendancy to poop all-over the rocks so anyway I was washing those and this 4 1/2 inch water bug comes rushing to the top of the pond chasing after some tadpoles........So I fished it out and left it on this stone next to the pond and when I went back outside (about 10 minutes later) it seemed to be dead so I threw it away.......I hate those bugs.....

Old 12th June 2006   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Mark, I moved your thread here to the General Discussion area of the site because it was (inadvertently?) in the General Discussion section of the Vivaria &amp; Equipment/Product Reviews area Click the image to open in full size. -- <font color="ff0000">MOD</font>

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006   #6 (permalink)
phoebe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am afraid i may have found one baby of them!! What should i do??

Old 14th June 2006   #7 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Remove it, or eat it yourself Click the image to open in full size.

Old 15th June 2006   #8 (permalink)
phoebe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

eeew! I removed it but i dont know if there are any others.

Old 15th June 2006   #9 (permalink)
phoebe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Then again it may have not been, as it had two long strands from the back of his body.

Tags
guest, unwelcome

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 2 (Set)

AdvythAF, Ripley
LinkBack