The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bloodworms

This is a discussion on Bloodworms within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Has anyone tried feeding live (as opposed to frozen) bloodworms to their newts? My paramesotriton has been eating frozen ones, ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2003   #1 (permalink)
sari

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Has anyone tried feeding live (as opposed to frozen) bloodworms to their newts? My paramesotriton has been eating frozen ones, but I just got some live ones from a local pet shop. I was told to keep them in the fridge in some water, that they don't need any food, and that they should live for about a month. Anyone have any opinions or experience with this?

Old 13th November 2003   #2 (permalink)
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Live bloodworms are just fine. Just be sure that he eats them all, because they will turn into a mosquito-like creature. Chances are that they are actually live blackworms, in which case they are still a good food.

~Aaron

Old 13th November 2003   #3 (permalink)
elisabeth

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Be careful of blackworm infestations. A few got away and into the gravel in the tank. Before I knew it, I had a whole colony in there!

Old 13th November 2003   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Live bloodworm are imported from Holland into the UK.
They are packaged in just damp newspaper, and actually keep fresher in the fridge, if left out of water.
Dont worry too much about the mossies, they are not the biting kind!

Old 13th November 2003   #5 (permalink)
sari

Gallery Images:
Comments:

How can I tell if they are bloodworms or blackworms? I really woudln't be surprised if this pet shop got it wrong... Do you need to feed them anything, like the same way you would gutload a cricket?

Old 13th November 2003   #6 (permalink)
sari

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Oh, and are there any nutritional benefits to live vs frozen? My newt seems to eat them pretty readily either way.

Old 13th November 2003   #7 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

True bloodworms are red and look like the frozen ones, sort of like giant mosquito larvae. Live blackworms are like very skinny earthworms, and they tangle themselves together in a ball. Just to confuse people, some pet shops call their live blackworms "bloodworms". I think both are good nutritionally. It would be good to use both.

Old 13th November 2003   #8 (permalink)

Rep: martin has started on the right path

I get through ten bags of bloodworm a week.(3)
I keep them in a fridge,they last about a week . I get fresh weekly, i rinse them in a net under the tap for a few minutes, the water they come in gets i bit smelly after 3 or 4 days.
All of my newts eat live bloodworm weekly as well as waxworm ,crickets and the top newt fodder earthworms.
They are excellent for rearing larvae and juvs.

martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2003   #9 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I should point out that the folks talking about true live bloodworms are all in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. Here in the US (and probably Canada) the only live bloodworms are the mis-labeled blackworms.

Old 14th November 2003   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Martin, where do you get your bloodworms from? All the tackle shops around here (UK) only seem to sell maggots Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th November 2003   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Mike- like Martin, I get through about ten bags a week at the moment- I get mine from an aquarium shop. Most of the shops round here (NE England) that sell tropical fish sell live bloodworm, daphnia and brine shrimp.

I'd be interested if anyone knows if you can buy them without the bags- it's wasteful and annoying cutting them out of the bags.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2003   #12 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I doubt that you will find bloodworms "loose" in an aquarium shop Caleb.
They are packed for display, and are more profitable if sold that way!

Old 14th November 2003   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: justin has shown reliable knowledge

i have a great dealer of loose blood worm and it works out a lot cheaper than the little bags you get from pet stores problem is im in the southeast and i no caleb lives far away from me

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2003   #14 (permalink)

Rep: martin has started on the right path

Hi Mike,
I get my bloodworm from local aquarian shop,fishing tackle shops will get you bloodworm bulk wrapped in newspaper and loam. Match anglers use bloodworm for bait. The match anglers also call bloodworm jokers.

martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2003   #15 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Justin - I'm in the SE aswell. Where is this dealer?
Chris

Old 16th November 2003   #16 (permalink)
sari

Gallery Images:
Comments:

So I guess the bloodworms that I thought I had are actually blackworms. I sprinkled some fish food into their water, and they all bunched up in a knot right where I put it... I guess they were eating it. I hope its good for them. And the newt that will eat them.

Old 17th November 2003   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: justin has shown reliable knowledge

hi chris he,s in enfield justin

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003   #18 (permalink)
elisabeth

Gallery Images:
Comments:

There are no Petcos in England, huh? That's where I get mine.

Tags
bloodworms

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 0 (Set)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack