The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How do I get food in the winter?

This is a discussion on How do I get food in the winter? within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; For my Eurycea bislineata larvae I have been collecting water that is full of daphnia from our pond every week. ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2004   #1 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

For my Eurycea bislineata larvae I have been collecting water that is full of daphnia from our pond every week. However, winter is coming very quickly and I wont be able to do this. I was wondering if there was some way that I could keep a reproducing population at home and just feed my salamanders some of those. Also, if there is anything wrong with feeding daphnia to my salamanders I would like to know, but they have been eating them and are very healthy.

By the way, I was looking at one of the daphnia under a microscope, and it gave birth as I was watching it.

Old 20th September 2004   #2 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You can definately farm daphnia in captivity, all you need is a fair amount of light for part of the day, a cool temperature, and something decaying (like a few dead leaves, but not too many). You can also get them at many pet shops. I had a colony once that lasted about four weeks, but these things can sometimes be difficult to keep.

Old 20th September 2004   #3 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You can also use blackworms and brine shrimp.

Ed

Old 21st September 2004   #4 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

Daphnia are great for them. I have tubs of cultured daphnia that I have maintained for months. It's a balancing act, though.

Old 29th September 2004   #5 (permalink)
katie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Brian, I read your post and thought i might be some help. I have E. bislineata larvae also. I have only them for about two months so i am def not anywhere close to an expert! But mine have doupled in size and i have been feeding them frozen brine shrimp. Its easy and they seem to love it. Many pet stores carry it so its easy to find.

Tags
food, winter

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1 (Set)

FredLikesNewts
LinkBack