The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Scientific names

This is a discussion on Scientific names within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; I'd appreciate some clarification on the use of abbreviations and italicization of scientific names. Take Cynops ensicauda popei , for ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2005   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'd appreciate some clarification on the use of abbreviations and italicization of scientific names.

Take Cynops ensicauda popei, for example.

I understand that this is correct:

C. ensicauda popei (with a space between "C." and "ensicauda")

But which of these are correct?

1) C.e.p
2) C. e. p.
3) C. e. popei
4) C.e. popei
5) C.e.popei

Also, I understand that species names are italicized, but how about when just the genus is mentioned? Cynops, for example.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005   #2 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

#3 is correct. However there is all kinds of unofficial shorthand that gets thrown around....

Ed

Old 12th August 2005   #3 (permalink)
aki

Gallery Images:
Comments:

None of those mentioned alternatives (1-5) are correct if mentioned alone. But alternative number 3 is the one sort of right form if mentioned in the text after the clarifying scientific full name of subspecies of the same species. For example, blaa blaa blaa Cynops ensicauda ensicauda and C. e. popei.

Genus mentioned alone is always italicized as well as the whole binomial species name or trinomial subspecies one.

By the way, my best greetings for everyone and thanks to the founder and "staff" for the splendid site. It was my first message here so far, even though I have followed this great forum from time to time about one year now. I just had to register myself again, since I've forgot my username and password... I'm from Finland... so please forgive my bad and poor english...

(Message edited by Aki_suzuki on August 12, 2005)

Old 13th August 2005   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I had assumed that both #3 and #4 were correct, at least in terms of the proper use of spacing. Still, I had wanted some clarification on this and also for others here to learn and start using the proper form, because a lot of variations show up on this board, and can leave newbies confused Click the image to open in full size.

Aki, welcome to the site! Your English is fine, in fact better even than that of some native speakers that we get here from time to time. I look forward to your future postings. Please don't hesitate Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
names, scientific

LinkBack