The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Scuds as food!?

This is a discussion on Scuds as food!? within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; So, I've had this water garden in the backyard for a number of years and earlier today I was harvesting ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2004   #1 (permalink)
bri

Gallery Images:
Comments:

So, I've had this water garden in the backyard for a number of years and earlier today I was harvesting some water plants for the aquarium and as I was washing them off I noticed small freshwater shrimp clinging to all of the plants. After a few more plants and scoops into the detritus I must have captured a couple hundred of these tiny freshwater shrimp. I did some research and discovered they're 'scuds' or 'sideswimmers.' They would seem to be perfect for small aquatic caudate food but I'm still a little cautious. Any experience with these little crustaceans? Cichlids love 'em.
Thanks.

Old 18th March 2004   #2 (permalink)
keegan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Bri,
Actually, we had a bit of a discussion on this a while back. It may be burried somewhere here.

I think the consensus was that they would be good, but the caution was that they may carry parasites. To aviod the parasites either
1) inspect each shrimp for abnormalities (A red colored dot or something, if I recall?)
2) culture them in a fishless environment for at least a generation.

If your water garden doesn't have fish/amphibs anyway, you are probably safe?

Keegan

Old 19th March 2004   #3 (permalink)
isaiah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

WARNING: They are egg and small larvae eaters as well.

Old 19th March 2004   #4 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ive gotten them before from ponds and my alpines loved them-they seem to be a food that would excite them. my drawback was the water from the pond contained 'red' algae and that stuff just cloggs up a tank in no time.

Tags
food, scuds

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1 (Set)

gocrow77
LinkBack