The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Grasshoppers as food?

This is a discussion on Grasshoppers as food? within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; My frog will only eat grasshoppers. It won't eat crickets or mealworms or moths or anything else. We have an ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2004   #1 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My frog will only eat grasshoppers. It won't eat crickets or mealworms or moths or anything else. We have an abundance of them at certain times and then they are scarce for most of the year.

I live in a pesticide free area. Is there a way I could catch a some and keep them in a tank or a container?

Please help me it's all my frog will eat and I don't have a place to get them at year-round. I just want my frog to have a constant food supply.

Thank You!!

Old 28th July 2004   #2 (permalink)
hayden

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You can buy Can o grasshoppers from zoomed...They are pesticide free.

Old 29th July 2004   #3 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Can o crickets.

I don't quite understand why he would not want crickets but grasshoppers instead.

Fasting in order? I don't think anyone breeds grasshoppers as pet food(and then they could still be seasonal).

Old 29th July 2004   #4 (permalink)
k.

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I would like to point out that there is NO pesticide/herbicide free areas. Atrazine, a herbicide responsible for disrupting the sexual development of frogs at concentrations 30 times lower than levels allowed by the Environmental Protection Agency, is found in rain water and every woman's breast milk in the US.

First off, what kind of frog is it? How often do you feed it? Chances are you are feeding it too much and while it has the luxury of being fed plenty, is being selective in its diet.

Old 29th July 2004   #5 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It's a gray tree frog.

I feed it once every 2nd or 3rd day. I had tried crickets, moths, and meal worms for almost the entire first week. And then one day a grasshopper landed on my shirt so I fed it to the frog and it ate it. That was almost 2 months ago and the frog still loves grasshoppers. And yes I still have been trying the others but it won't eat them.

Old 29th July 2004   #6 (permalink)
k.

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I find that strange. Grays are very hardy and are gluttons when it comes being fed! Assuming you are using adult live crickets, try feeding him nothing but non-grasshopper for 2 weeks. I have never had a healthy gray turn down crickets!

Old 29th July 2004   #7 (permalink)
josh

Gallery Images:
Comments:

http://www.edsflymeatinc.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=CM this book talks about keeping/breeding grasshoppers, Might look into it

Tags
food, grasshoppers

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 2 (Set)

CreativeOne, eyrops
LinkBack