The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Caudata.org UK meet

This is a discussion on Caudata.org UK meet within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; I hope to be going up to S.Yorks in a few weeks on some verrucosus-related buisness to see Morg and ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2003   #1 (permalink)
alan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I hope to be going up to S.Yorks in a few weeks on some verrucosus-related buisness to see Morg and Chris Mattison. Morg and I have been discussing the possibility of a get together, so, is anyone up for the first annual S.Yorks pre-xmas Caudata.org-UK social gathering? We were thinking about December Chris, if you're reading this, suggest some dates which are good for you?
The plan: find a pub, spot of lunch, few drinkies, talk newts for a few hours.
Any takers?

Old 31st October 2003   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Well obviously Im up for it, and I know that a few people have mentioned a possible meet up in the past so hopefully we can sort out some kind of get together.
Where would be the best place to have this gathering of the newt brigade?
Sheffield,Doncaster or even my house then onto the pub?[thats just me trying to save on travel expenses]
I would be unable to make the 6th, but should be fine for any other date in December

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2003   #3 (permalink)
aimee

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Morg and Alan
I would love to meet up with the UK newt fan club! Its good to see someone in the UK trying to arrange something. If I could get the time off from school (Hard working A-level student) and the funds to travel to whereever the meeting is being held - I would definatly try to go. Maybe even travel up with Chris if he's up for this! It would also be good to finally put faces to names =)

Old 31st October 2003   #4 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'd like to do it. What's the nearest Ryanair-flying airport to that area?

Old 31st October 2003   #5 (permalink)

Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: martin has started on the right path

I am up for it,
get some dates sorted,
I am sure i will be there.

Martin Click the image to open in full size.

martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2003   #6 (permalink)
alan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well, it sounds as if some people are keen! Morg and I originally discussed something more elaborate, such as a weekend involving some conservation activity such as habitat reconstruction/management with associated social activities in the evening(s). Since most sites are heavily protected, this would need to be done in collaboration with some "official" organization such as Froglife:
http://www.froglife.org/
one of the county wildlife trusts:
http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/index....on=localtrusts
or a local amphibian group:
http://www.froglife.fsnet.co.uk/HGBI/HGBI.htm
Finally we decided to keep it simple to start with - maybe this is an idea for the next meeting?

If only a few people want to come, we could just turn up at a pub. If it starts to get bigger, we will need to book somewhere, especially if it's near Christmas.
John if you can fly into East Midlands, I could pick you up on the way and drop you back.

Old 1st November 2003   #7 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If it's at a weekend, then I'd love to come.
Chris

Old 1st November 2003   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Its great to see that there is interest in a meet up.
Now its just finding a date and venue suitable.
I have sent an email to Chris Mattison incase he has not seen this thread and as soon as I hear back we can go about trying to sort it all out.
Anybody else interested?

www.punkradiocast.com/
Old 1st November 2003   #9 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello Alan, Morg, etc.

Yes, I'd be keen to give it a go. I'll try to put together some dates and ideas over the next week. I will be away from November 13 until December 1, though.

Old 1st November 2003   #10 (permalink)
claire

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi all

I'd be interested in coming. It's the last few weeks I have in the lab so I wont know if I can make it until a day or two before -depending on if things in the lab behave Click the image to open in full size.

Will it be anywhere near a station? I don't drive Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st November 2003   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Claire
It looks like the meet will be in Sheffield which does have a rail station.
I too am a non driver so will probably be arriving by train.

www.punkradiocast.com/
Old 1st November 2003   #12 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Alan, that's a great offer - thank you! Unfortunately, I don't think East Midlands is flyable using Ryanair. Here are the possible airports in the region (please forgive my geographical ignorance of the north of England):

Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester and Teeside.

Are those within spitting distance of anyone?

Old 1st November 2003   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Either Leeds or Manchester.
I have emailed somebody from Leeds about the meet, but he has not yet got back to me.
If he is says he is interested I could sus the possibility of a lift for you.

www.punkradiocast.com/
Old 2nd November 2003   #14 (permalink)
alan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Our first Caudata.org-UK meeting will be on December 13. We apologize to anyone who is not able to make that date, but if you can't come to this one, perhaps you'll be able to get to the next meeting! Chris Mattison has generously agreed to host a possible slide show (herpetology, not just newts) at his house on the south side of Sheffield, so the plan is:
- Lunch at a pub in the Peak District near Sheffield (details to be announced later).
- It has been suggested that those using public transport meet at Sheffield railway station. If you are coming by car and can offer lifts to ferry people around during the day, please post details here. I'll be driving and can take Morg and 2-3 others. Please try to arrive in good time (perhaps between 11 and 12) to get out to a pub by, say, 1 o'clock.
- After lunch it's back to Chris's house (details to follow) for the slide show and discussions!
All arrangements are provisional at the moment and subject to confirmation, probably in early December. We need some idea of numbers, so if you're definitely coming, please post here.

Old 2nd November 2003   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Definitely, will bring Aimee.

Old 2nd November 2003   #16 (permalink)
aimee

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi All

Would of course love to come - Great opportunity to meet eveyone and put faces to names.

Thanks Mike for the lift. Just have to convince the parents to let me go and I shall be there! Fingers Crossed...

Looking forward to it!

Old 3rd November 2003   #17 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I should be coming as well. Click the image to open in full size.
I'll need a lift from the station.
Thanks,
Chris

Old 4th November 2003   #18 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ok guys I have bad news. Fate has just stepped in and ruled me out of going I'm afraid. I'm sorry about that but it was unavoidable. Please take photos!

Old 4th November 2003   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Sorry to hear that John, it would have been good to meet you at last.

www.punkradiocast.com/
Old 4th November 2003   #20 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'd thought i would let you guys know that i cant make it either. Click the image to open in full size. *sigh*
I know how you feel John.

Tags
caudataorg, meet

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3 (Set)

Jadore axolotl, jclee, spiny tails
LinkBack