The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Two questions: 1-milky white eggs 2-sperm/eggs

This is a discussion on Two questions: 1-milky white eggs 2-sperm/eggs within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; a couple of things i need cleared up (for today at least LOL) 1) I heard a "milky white" tint/look ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2003   #1 (permalink)
steve

Gallery Images:
Comments:

a couple of things i need cleared up (for today at least LOL)

1) I heard a "milky white" tint/look on a deposited egg is "bad", but I just read something that stated: if AIR gets trapped inside the gelatinous envelope, the egg sac turns white. Does this STILL suggest the egg is bad? ALSO: could this be only is the eggs are in CLUSTER form and not SINGLY LAID?

2) in internal fert. sallies: Does the sperm fertilize the egg while the FEMALE is still holding them (gravid) or DOES the egg get fertilized ON IT'S WAY OUT? I quote this reading again: "As the eggs pass out of the females cloaca, SPERMATOPHORES RUPTURE, fertilizing the eggs in each tiny mass."

help is appreciated and I hope this is of some interest if correct.

steve

Old 31st January 2003   #2 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Steve,
As for the milky/white eggs it depends upon the species in question. In spotted salamanders for example (A. maculatum) there are populations where the egg masses are milky in coloration and populations where the egg masses are clear. If the nucleous is white this is also common in many amphibians whose eggs are not exposed to light.
The spermatophore does not actually rupture as the cap is composed of polysaccharides that are dissolved in the cloaca allowing the sperm to be taken up into the spermatheca. The eggs are then fertilized upon deposition.
As I mentioned in my other post the book Biology of Amphibians would help you out alot.
Ed

Old 1st February 2003   #3 (permalink)
steve

Gallery Images:
Comments:

thanks ED, you seem to be the ANSWER man today, and tomorrow, LOL.

You in the UK?

Tags
1milky, 2sperm or eggs, eggs, questions, white

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 6th October 2017, 13:55 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack