The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Add yourself to the Caudata.org Map!

This is a discussion on Add yourself to the Caudata.org Map! within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Added myself, second person in Sweden.....

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2005   #21 (permalink)
miqe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Added myself, second person in Sweden..

Old 30th November 2005   #22 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

added as well...interesting picture, be prepared to drool, but before you barrage me, I don't have it anymore and ain't saying where it went...heeheeClick the image to open in full size.

Old 30th November 2005   #23 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

how come the aussies arent appearing on the map? i know there are aussie members -and when i signed up i was able to ge the 'map it' feature with me but not appear on the actual map- i fear not all members appear on the visual map....

Old 30th November 2005   #24 (permalink)
william

Gallery Images:
Comments:

probably because the aussies frequent the axie forum and probably don't look at the rest of the site.

Brian, for some reason i can't see photos, what is it a photo of?

Old 30th November 2005   #25 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

There is one Australian (Stipe Puric), but you have to click on his name in order to be able to see "over there" on the other side of the worldClick the image to open in full size.

Yes, Brian, I'm drooling, though not with any desire to acquire. What is it, and may I possibly use the photo?

Old 1st December 2005   #26 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Jenn,

Feel free to use the photo...I have a couple others (photos that is) I'll send you separately, along with the species name...let's see if anyone else recognizes it...amazing what you'll find at Petco labeled as a fire-bellied newt...Click the image to open in full size.

Brian

Old 1st December 2005   #27 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Looks like some flavour of Salamandra.

Old 1st December 2005   #28 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi John,

Some have argued that it should be, rather than what it's classified as. There are definite similarities in appearance, though it is a bit smaller that most Salamandra...

Hint...the other species (1) of this genus looks quite different...it's also rarely seen by hobbyists, but perhaps more common than the one in my photo...Holy Grail stuff, really...

Jenn, please email me privately with your email address, the one I had from the last time we corresponded bombed on me...

Brian

Old 1st December 2005   #29 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i just took a look at the large blow up of that pic-it has square toes and small paratoids....along with pores down the back and tail.....

Old 1st December 2005   #30 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

There's a large blow up? How do I get that?

Old 1st December 2005   #31 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

go to the pictures posted page and click on the picture-its bigger than my screen!

Old 1st December 2005   #32 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks. That's helpful. Not Salamandra but I don't know what it is. Please put me out of my misery, Brian.

Old 1st December 2005   #33 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It looks like a Lyciasalamandra.. although there are very few pictures to compare with. Just a guess.

From Amphibiaweb for e.g.
"S. luschani antalyana: The dorsal side is yellow with dark spots, or vice versa. The lateral band is yellowish and not clearly defined. The ventral side is yellowish. The members of this subspecies are easily recognized by the conspicuous yellow parotoids and eye patch."

Old 1st December 2005   #34 (permalink)
ralf

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Lyciasalamandra antalyana?
formerly known as Mertensiella luschani antalyana

(Message edited by ralf on December 01, 2005)

Old 1st December 2005   #35 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Very good Ralf, wasn't aware of the subspecies status, nor the change of species name, but it is the former Mertensiella luschani. I had the rare opportunity to see a few a couple of years ago. Truly magnificent animals!

Old 1st December 2005   #36 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Awww - don't I get brownie points for guessing along the right lines too?Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st December 2005   #37 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hey Ralf and Marc (and Jenn and John),

just did a quick search with the new taxonomy and I see that Amphibiaweb has a number of very nice photos of the several!?! subspecies of Lyciasalamandra luschani including antalyana for your viewing pleasure... guess I've been out of the loop too long and missed all the big re-classifications. But hey, I'm back and will try to pay more attention this time...

Old 1st December 2005   #38 (permalink)
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

and yes...a 10 brownie points to Marc for guessing in the right direction and knowing the new genus assignment when I didn't Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st December 2005   #39 (permalink)
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Miqe, now we are three Swedes albeit I don't live in Sweden any longer. Just moved from Uppsala a couple of months ago...

To Mark:
Official brownie points can be spent in any pub in the Bristol Area, 10 points equalling about one pint of beerClick the image to open in full size.

Old 1st December 2005   #40 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Jesper, hope you like Bristol. I used to live there. How come you're there?

Tags
add, caudataorg, map

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 1st October 2017, 22:06 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack