The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sow bugs/pillbugs as food

This is a discussion on Sow bugs/pillbugs as food within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Anybody have any information/advice/warnings on using these isopods as food? They're being sold here in Japan for that purpose. I've ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2003   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Anybody have any information/advice/warnings on using these isopods as food? They're being sold here in Japan for that purpose. I've tried them with some of my newts/sals but not sure yet whether they've been eaten.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2003   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Good food! See:
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.ne...frogfood1.html

Old 24th September 2003   #3 (permalink)
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

if you're using them for terrestrial sals, i think they'd be great. they eat detritus in a tank, and are edible by the sals. good news for everyone!

Old 24th September 2003   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thanks Mike & Kaysie. And by the way, excellent site, Mike!! (esp. interesting as I also keep tropical fish & goldfish)
I'm checking it out here for the first time. Wouldn't mind being reincarnated as one of your C.orientalis in my next life! Hope you'll expand the newt/sal section as times goes on Click the image to open in full size.

Concerning sow bugs, pillbugs/woodlice, Mike says on the site that they have a calcium rich exoskeleton,can live in the sal's enclosure for some time until being eaten, and are actually quite useful scavengers, eating decaying plant material.

(Message edited by TJ on September 24, 2003)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2003   #5 (permalink)
kai

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You can also feed them to aquatic species.

They are a good addition to any whiteworm culture and help to avoid mold...

Old 24th September 2003   #6 (permalink)
rancidevilpingu

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i never knew woodlice were called pillbugs!!! or sow bugs

Old 16th October 2003   #7 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

could these woodlice/pilbugs be fed to terrestrial juviniles, as my garden is full of them.

Mark

Old 17th October 2003   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes!

Old 19th October 2003   #9 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Mike,
what temps do you keep your woodlice cultures at to increase the quickest?
Chris

Old 19th October 2003   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

As long as you get the moisture right, the warmer you keep them (within limits), they faster they breed. The trick is to allow plenty of ventilation, keep the substrate damp (not wet) and allow them to choose their own moisture level - they are more fussy about this than the temperature. I use corrugated cardboard (pieces of old boxes) to let them climb about and pick the microclimate they like.<br>They don't breed that fast, doubling about once every two months, but they are pretty maintenence free. A large plastic food container would keep most people going!

Tags
bugs or pillbugs, food, sow

LinkBack