The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cooling Poll

This is a discussion on Cooling Poll within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Time for a poll! Feel free to discuss. For species that require a significant cooling period before breeding do keepers ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

View Poll Results: See question below:

Yes, I think it’s important and makes them more productive when they are ready to breed. 4 44.44%
No, I only start to cool them when they’re mature. 3 33.33%
It doesn’t make any difference either way. 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2007   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Cooling Poll

Time for a poll! Feel free to discuss.

For species that require a significant cooling period before breeding do keepers think it’s important to cycle juveniles and sub-adults?

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

This was tough to answer, because there are (for me) two kinds of cooling. The cooling that my house provides without any effort. And the kind where I make an effort by moving the animals to a cold location and monitoring temperature closely. For those of us who live in a non-tropical climate, our animals always get cooler in winter, so it's hard to say if it "matters" or not.

Old 19th October 2007   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

I agree, but the question refers to species that require significant cooling. Some species will readily breed with the relatively insignificant seasonal cooling our houses have. I’m interested in the ones that need to be dropped to say 5 degrees C for a few months – montane species or ones from northern latitudes for example.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: lims has given good advice and informationlims has given good advice and information
Arrow

I'm far from an expert but, my general knowledge and common sence tells me that practice makes perfect. I would say that an adult who has experienced cooling periods will be readier, maybe faster at breeding, as he knows the drill. And obviously breeding first will be an advantage as you will have the largest tadpoles which can eat other tadpoles.

lims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007   #5 (permalink)
AJC
(ajc)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: ajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I also think this is a tough (but potentially important) question. I suspect there is very little evidence to help us answer this, but lots of hunches, so here's mine.
My normal practice (as far as I am able) for sub-adults of species which require significant cooling is, like Jen, to cool them somewhat in winter so that they get a "rest" but do not become dormant, i.e. keep feeding and growing. The logic for this is that the slow down means that the animals will breed at a later age, which might possibly make them more productive ultimately, and prolong their potential lifespan.
OTOH, species which reqiure significant cooling keep feeding at temperatures down to just above freezing anyway...

ajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, poll

LinkBack