The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Poll on amphibian feeding

This is a discussion on Poll on amphibian feeding within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Hi everyone, I want to post some polls concerning your feeding habits. So here is the first question: What do ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

View Poll Results: What do you feed your adult (meaning not larvae anymore) amphibians?

Only live food 78 55.71%
Only artificial food (pellets, sticks,...) 5 3.57%
More live than artificial food 48 34.29%
More artificial than live food 9 6.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2007   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Poll on amphibian feeding

Hi everyone,

I want to post some polls concerning your feeding habits.

So here is the first question: What do you feed your adult (meaning not larvae anymore) amphibians?

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I use mainly live food and frozen bloodworms. I'm assuming that frozen worms are closer to live than to pellet food.

Old 20th October 2007   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: lims has given good advice and informationlims has given good advice and information
Arrow fozen bloodworms

I wonder if they have a sell by date, I might check,, never used them for ages, but I keep them in the freezer, 'incase of emergency break plastic'

lims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yes, I "forgot" frozen food. Frozen natural food should be included in live food (although not really live...)

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: cheddarsox has given good advice and informationcheddarsox has given good advice and information

For me it varies greatly by the species. My aquatics, that hunt by scent as well as sight get more pellets, buy my terrestrials get more live. It also depends somewhat on the weather, as I do use wild caught insects, etc. We are in drought now and that has meant an over load of grasshoppers, but no earthworms or wood lice, and even the termites are getting hard to find.

cheddarsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MCampbell has started on the right path

I typically feed a mix of frozen bloodworms, frozen tubifex (really messy!), and a mix of live blackworms when I can get them as well as chopped up maggots and earthworms and the occasional waxworms. I've tried Phoenix worms a couple times with limited success for some reason which I thought odd since the newts would take the regular bait shop maggots but not the Phoenix worms which are simply a maggot of a different species of fly.

MCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007   #7 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information

im all live, I cant get My Taricha to eat frozen blood worms, and the rest of mine are terrestrial

Old 28th October 2007   #8 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I think the survey is a little general. I could answer yes to each question. I feed my axolotls almost exclusively salmon pellets. I guess if I went by weight of food I'd have to say the majority of the food I use is pellet food. That would be a misleading answer. I feed salmon pellets, earthworms, blackworms, crickets, isopods, mealworms, waxworms, whiteworms, and fruit flies to my salamanders. I also have a Triturus dobrogicus that eats a few Louisiana crayfish now and then. The live foods I use most are earthworms and blackworms.

O.K. my favorite food is salmon pellets. No it isn't it is earthworms.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Poll on amphibian feeding

All live here.

I do make my own pellets from live foods for the winter months though.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: obicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Live food, daphnia, bloodworm, etc. I have me frozen in the freezer in case I cant get livefood for any reason, and I have a tub of pellets I keep meaning to try, but havent actually been fed to anything yet.

obicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: esn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'd like to know how Johnny makes pellets. That's ingenious. For me, I feed my ADF a mix pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and earthworm bits. For my axolotls, they're almost exclusively on earthworms with a rare cube of frozen bloodworms. If anyone would like to know, I feed wafers and frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp to my fish as well.

esn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: duktig has started on the right path

If the little guys would eat pelleted food I'd be happy to feed it to them.

duktig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AngieD has given good advice and informationAngieD has given good advice and information

I used to feed the paddle-tails tetra fresh bloodworms/brine shrimp in jelly, but they weren't crazy about it and it made the water all cloudy and greasy looking,, so I switched to live bloodworms, which are cheaper and they like them a lot more

Last edited by AngieD; 7th December 2011 at 00:11. Reason: inadvertent double letters
AngieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: robinsonmatt43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Live food is always best; crickets are by far my golden standard when it's winter and I need to buy food from the pet store. I tend not to attempt to feed adults dead food, but in a pinch, you can take freshly dead insects and prod them gently to intice feeding.

Matt

robinsonmatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I try to feed mostly worms and defrosted fish slices. It just keeps the cost way down for keeping my animals. I go catfishing alot and collect worms and insects while I wait for the bell to ring, I also use fish eggs and their livers from the fish I catch as food.

Old 11th December 2011   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: peter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and information

I raise worms in a couple of compost bins, and they make up the bulk of the diet of about half of my adult animals. The fire salamanders also get a lot of slugs crawling into their tanks. The axolotls in my ponds feed on daphnia by filtering water through their gill rakers, as well as snails and anything else they can catch, and I throw in some coarse fish pellets and worms from time to time. For the axolotls that I keep indoors, I feed them mostly with coarse fish pellets, with some supplemental earthworms.

peter5930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I use mostly earthworms, frozen bloodworms, live blackworms and cockroaches.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Does feeding salamanders slugs expose them to lung flukes like it does in other animals? I always boil them before I feed them to my turtles and avoid feeding them to my salamanders.

Old 12th December 2011   #19 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by esn View Post
I'd like to know how Johnny makes pellets. That's ingenious. For me, I feed my ADF a mix pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and earthworm bits. For my axolotls, they're almost exclusively on earthworms with a rare cube of frozen bloodworms. If anyone would like to know, I feed wafers and frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp to my fish as well.

Just type the keywords "blender" and "massacre" and pellets in the search function.

I hope you have a strong stomach, even though I was nice enough to withhold pictures...

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emmyk has shown reliable knowledge

Axolotl pellets from eds fly meat and earthworms when I can get them:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

emmyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amphibian, feeding, poll

LinkBack