The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Poll: species mixing

This is a discussion on Poll: species mixing within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; JD I wouldn't mix the two species. Tigers tend to try to eat anything, and a spotted salamander would certainly ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

View Poll Results: Do you mix species in your set-ups?

Mix newts/salamanders with invertebrates (glass shrimp, snails...) 203 40.28%
Mix newts/salamanders with fish 120 23.81%
Mix newts/salamanders with other species of newts/salamander 79 15.67%
Mix newts/salamanders with frogs/toads 36 7.14%
Mix newts/salamanders with reptiles 7 1.39%
None of the above 216 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2008   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Poll: species mixing

JD
I wouldn't mix the two species. Tigers tend to try to eat anything, and a spotted salamander would certainly be on their menu. As for secretions, spotted salamanders (A.maculatum) don't have any you have to worry about.

As for species mixing in general, it is not a black and white issue. Certain species can and will live together quite well, others simply will not. In general there is no need to mix species. The only time it is truly applicable is in a display setup, if the intention is to breed then there is no need to have different species together and could in fact hamper the process.

Alex

tylototriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008   #42 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

Though I don't think you can mix the species, I love the tank!

Old 20th May 2008   #43 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: mantighoul has given consistently good advice and informationmantighoul has given consistently good advice and informationmantighoul has given consistently good advice and information

I keep cherry shrimp ( Neocaridina denticulata sinensis) in a few axolotl/newt tanks that have been planted with a ton of Vals. Breed like crazy, newt gets a snack, axolotl too slow to catch them and give up easily. That is about as far as i go as species mixing. Habitats most people provide at home are way to small to really do any sort of "ecosystem" and any intense or even small scale species mixing. I am talking about 1000+ gallons, and a land area about the size of a bedroom if one wants to even think about do that!

mantighoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008   #44 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've thought it'd be fun to use a large tank(I'd think 40+) for a kind of SE US swampland biotope. False bottom land area with peat and some wetland plants, such as sundews/bladderworts, grasses, etc. Water section could house some Heterandria formosa or Elassoma evergladei. The amphibians could be N. v. louisianensis or dwarf sirens, alongside of cricket or chorus frogs. Ghost shrimp could round off the mix. It seems like it would work out ok to me.

As for mixing...I have put newts together with fish. I've found fish usually ignore newts. I did have one case of a newt with a sore that the fish were picking at. So you have to watch to make sure the fish are not nipping the newts and any newts with, say, damaged tails etc. should be isolated until the wound fully heals over.

naturejoe: I find your stories quite interesting...but a lot of that behavior definetly does not occur in the wild.

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008   #45 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Ok, let me pose another species mix.

Cynops ensicauda popei and Polypedates leucomystax. Let us assume both groups of animals are CB individuals and are stocked at a low density.

Both species reach similar size at adulthood(in terms of one not being able to eat the other). One is arboreal, one terrestrial. Their ranges overlap on the Ryukyu islands. I can imagine C. e. popei walking around in a pool devouring tadpoles of P. leucomystax calling from the brush above the pool.

The only worry here is the oft quoted toxicity problem...but I've heard just as many stories of thins going ok as things going downhill. Must have to do with whether or not the toxic animals are stressed out.

So...in you guys opinion would this mix work? In what sized tank?

Old 21st June 2008   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Rep: Michael2266 has started on the right path

People have told me not to house buddies with my axolotls (besides other axolotls), can I put snails in the same tank?

Michael2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008   #47 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Snails seem to be unavoidable for most people. I think they are fine.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008   #48 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ShauNewt has started on the right path

@ Sam - I used to have triops, but in a tank on their own. They only live for about month so it's a bit pointless adding them to a newt tank as tankmates. As for adding them as feeders, aren't their shells a bit big for newts to digest? Plus they have points going back don't they? Here's a pic for everyone who doesn't know what triops are:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by ShauNewt; 26th June 2008 at 15:55. Reason: Didn't realise this thread had more than one page
ShauNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008   #49 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

I'm sure bigger newts would eat them in a jiffy. They are not very well protected and that shell they have is quite soft.

Old 8th May 2009   #50 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 3
Rep: eyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Right now I'm not mixing salamanders with anything. I'm keeping Siren lacertina and Xenopus frogs, separately. Recently I have avioded snails, but snails happen as noted by others. I can't say that I will never mix salamanders with anything, but I do think singleness of purpose helps prevent some mistakes.

eyrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009   #51 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kwksand has given consistently excellent advice and informationkwksand has given consistently excellent advice and informationkwksand has given consistently excellent advice and informationkwksand has given consistently excellent advice and information

The rule that tankmates must be "too big to be swallowed" is too simple. For a short time I kept Notophthalmus v. louisianensis with young Siren intermedia, because they are sympatric and syntopic in many habitats. The newts were far too big to be eaten, but I quickly learned why they evolved the ability to regenerate limbs...they all recovered after separation.

kwksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009   #52 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: malduroque is an unknown quantity at this point

azhael

You obviously care deeply about the well being of your creatures. In fact, you probably care more about them than anyone on this forum. I have a question for you. In your gallery, there are photos of someone handling and holding various caudate species. Is that you by any chance?

malduroque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009   #53 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

No, it is not me, itīs the hand of an herpetologists that works for my university(i suspect you are talking about the Salamandra pics).
And please donīt use that tone with me, i have nothing personal against you and i donīt think i earned that. I care about my animals, yes, and i have strong opinions about certain things, but donīt try to diminish me, please...

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009   #54 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

To clarify my poll vote- (#1 on the list)

The only "species mixing" I do is when I add live food animals to a tank with caudates. For fish, I do community tanks only with compatible species. For reptiles I do not allow any species mixing other than when applicable live foods are used. Caudates and live foods are kept in a seperate room. Chameleons and snakes are also kept in separate rooms.

I quarantine all purchased live foods a minimum of 30 days before use, although I "grow my own" in most cases. My exception to this rule is crickets. I have a mail order subscription for live ones, however I do not quarantine them.

Oh, and I hate snails...so they get the "six pack and long tongs" treatment...

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009   #55 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AU SalamanderRG has shown reliable knowledge

Species mixing, for the most part, is really a choice left up to the owner. However, mixes in herps have to be carried out carefully, much more as opposed to, say, fish, as factors such as temperature, humidity, substrate, and foliage would greatly affect the animals in question. And finding herps that would suit each other's exact location whilst at the same time not being detrimental to their own health would make species finding much harder. Hence why we here very little in terms of herp mixing. In fact, the easiest mixes to pull off would be regionally base ones, and these are hard to pull off primarily due to to the fact that either few herps from said region are available, herps from that region have varying degrees of availability, with one being as common as guinea pigs and another as rare as natural diamonds, or that certain laws restrict collection from said regions.

Don't get me wrong, species mixing isn't exactly that much of an alien concept. It happens a lot as far as fish keepers are concerned and a lot of the people I know have managed to keep successful comunnity fish tanks for extended periods of time. That said, herps are an entirely different ball game, with the greater amount of complexities that land life provides.

AU SalamanderRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009   #56 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Personally i would not mix species, but i do have a small number of guppies and minnows as feeder fish for my axies.

Old 9th May 2009   #57 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: malduroque is an unknown quantity at this point

azhael

Fair enough. It was my impression that you came off as a bit smug, especially when you call anyone who mixes species "irresponsible", but if that was not your intent then I misinterpreted you. My bad.

malduroque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009   #58 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by malduroque View Post
azhael

You obviously care deeply about the well being of your creatures. In fact, you probably care more about them than anyone on this forum. I have a question for you. In your gallery, there are photos of someone handling and holding various caudate species. Is that you by any chance?
I'm not sure what your point is here? The vast majority of people in the caudate hobby do care for their animals...that's why we keep them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malduroque View Post
azhael

Fair enough. It was my impression that you came off as a bit smug, especially when you call anyone who mixes species "irresponsible", but if that was not your intent then I misinterpreted you. My bad.
Rodrigo never said anyone who mixes species is irresponsible, you DID misinterpret what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhael View Post
In the end i think your position about mixing species is reduced to two facts...
If you give importance to the "looks" or to the "interesting" possibilities...then you may be a mixer.
If what you care for more is the well being and health of all your animals, then you probably know better than to take risks.
I couldn't agree with this more. If you are mixing species because they look good together, or because you want to find an interesting combination, then you shouldn't keep newts (or any animals for that matter). True some combinations work when caution and common sense are utilized, but most don't work out.

Newts are living creatures, not toys for you to play God with.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009   #59 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Please keep the current debate in the other thread. No reason to roll off one wrestling mat into another.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009   #60 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Yellow Pine has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default Re: mixing..

i cant believe some people said reptiles i mean its obvious that reptiles live on dry land and salamanders don't.

Yellow Pine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mixing, poll, species

LinkBack