The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

"rare breedings" reported by zoo's. Are they so rare?

This is a discussion on "rare breedings" reported by zoo's. Are they so rare? within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; hey, someone on another forum has just noticed her slimy salamander has laid eggs. now she's all excited because she's ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: spendday has given consistently good advice and informationspendday has given consistently good advice and informationspendday has given consistently good advice and information
Default "rare breedings" reported by zoo's. Are they so rare?

hey,
someone on another forum has just noticed her slimy salamander has laid eggs. now she's all excited because she's found a link about a zoo saying how rare it is for these to breed in captivity (Links http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS38/710220337 and http://www.toledozoo.org/discover/pr...%20hatches.pdf) Now I'm sure i've seen thes on sale CB in the UK (where alot of american species are pretty hard to get your hands on) and I'm wondering are salamander breedings so rare in captivity. I could understand if it was a tiger salamander or some other well know hard to breed species, but I'm wondering if zoo's are just blowing there own horns with things like this.

spendday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: "rare breedings" reported by zoo's. Are they so rare?

It’s rare enough to warrant a good hard toot of the horn (maybe even rarer than tiger breeding).

Be wary of anyone selling slimy salamanders as cb. I’m sure they do get bred occasionally but they’re also one of the UK’s most popular wc plethodontid import. I can’t say I’ve seen cb available in recent times - if ever.

Tim from Toledo Zoo was kind enough to share his breeding experience with us here: Plethodon glutinosus eggs

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: "rare breedings" reported by zoo's. Are they so rare?

I would say it's fairly rare, and I would also say that zoos like to toot their horns.

I think the Desmognathus welteri is certainly rarer, but for some reason didn't get the same level of tooting...

-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"rare, breedings", rare, rare breedings, rare?, reported, zoo, zoo's.

LinkBack