The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Need help locating neotenic or large larvae in Texas for research project

This is a discussion on Need help locating neotenic or large larvae in Texas for research project within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Hi everyone, I know some of you may know this and I would apreciate the help as I am limited ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2009   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 0
Rep: paris has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and information
Exclamation Need help locating neotenic or large larvae in Texas for research project

Hi everyone, I know some of you may know this and I would apreciate the help as I am limited on time. I am leaving for Texas tomorrow and my schedule for timing my start of research gives me about a week to locate enough A tigrinum to do my research project. I am based in Umbarger , which is south of Amarillo. My study is on the effect of predators on phenotypic plasticity and is similar to one done in Japan (which i modeled some of my methods from). My protocol calls for large larvae, neotenics or as a last resourt morphed ones. I had a bunch of neotenics last year before the flooding but most morphed out a month into captivity. The isolated pit i got them from flooded and they now are spread out throughout the flooded basin area. I dont have an electroshocker, so the manhours to locate them in the dam will probably be prohibitive. I will only use morphed ones when I have exhausted the other options.
ANYWAYS..so here is what I need, a specific location for any gilled A tigrinum, preferably from within a 3 hours drive of Canyon TX. It will probably be a playa that has stayed wet over the winter or filled early. We have a collection permit, IACUC approval and about a weeks time. They will not be destroyed or harmed in the project and will be released once it is complete.

Can anyone help me out?

paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: katebutton has given consistently excellent advice and informationkatebutton has given consistently excellent advice and informationkatebutton has given consistently excellent advice and informationkatebutton has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Need help locating neotenic or large larvae in Texas for research project

I don't know if you're on the Center for North American Herpetology mailing list, but you may want to e-mail Joe Collins at KU and have him post this there also...for people looking to collect reptiles or amphibians for research projects, it's a great resource and you'll probably get some good suggestions from others in the scientific community.

katebutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Need help locating neotenic or large larvae in Texas for research project

As much as I hate to say it...if exact locality is not an issue, there is always the live bait store...

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 3
Rep: eyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
As much as I hate to say it...if exact locality is not an issue, there is always the live bait store...
Yes. Also, if you search on "waterdogs" "bait", you will find them. This is unfortunate for several reasons but if these animals suit your research needs it's a better use of them than fish bait. However, if you are looking to collect your own, this resource provides some helpful information:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/monmanual/t...ogsvarious.htm

-Steve Morse

eyrops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large, larvae, locating, neotenic, project, research, texas

LinkBack