The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

RSS and twitter use among forum members

This is a discussion on RSS and twitter use among forum members within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; This forum now has RSS feeds available. Has anyone tried them out? Any opinions? I signed up for them, but ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

View Poll Results: Do you use RSS and/or twitter?

I use RSS. 7 5.51%
I use twitter. 12 9.45%
I use both. 1 0.79%
I use neither. 66 51.97%
I have no idea what you are talking about. 41 32.28%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2009   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default RSS and twitter use among forum members

This forum now has RSS feeds available. Has anyone tried them out? Any opinions? I signed up for them, but I won't taint the discussion by starting it with my own opinion

The reason I am asking is to find out whether adding RSS feeds from Caudata Culture would have any purpose. If they happen, they would consist of the "CC New and Updated Pages", which currently appear at the bottom of the CC home page. I am less familiar with twitter, but it may also be possible to feed updates into twitter also.

Old 23rd June 2009   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: RSS and twitter use among forum members

Not very relevant to your purpose Jen but the forum has had RSS since April/May 2007.

Old 23rd June 2009   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I'm a teen and yet, I have no idea what RSS is. Should I?

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I'm old and yet, I have no idea what RSS is. Should I?

I do sort of know what twitter is, and am avoiding it.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

RSS (really simple syndication) is basically a listing of what goes on at someplace that is frequently updated. If you are subscribed to something's RSS feed you get updates when something changes. At Caudata.org you get updates when replies or new threads are made. These can be sent to fancy phones or many websites can be tracked at one place (like Google Reader.)

I don't use Caudata.org's RSS as I think it is just too much as this place gets quite a bit of traffic. I'm not sure I'd use CC's either... I might sign up just so I could see if and when new articles go up.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

I voted neither, although I have tried RSS. I think RSS is useful for seeing a variety of feeds from different sites but it's no match for the visiting the site in person. Hence why I stopped using it.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Thanks, Abrahm, I had always wondered about that.
Now, if I only knew what Digg del.icio.us StumbleUpon and reddit were. I'd click on them to find out, but one day I made that mistake clicking on "Google Chrome", and had to do a "System Restore" on my computer to rid myself of it.

Old 23rd June 2009   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
Thanks, Abrahm, I had always wondered about that.
Now, if I only knew what Digg del.icio.us StumbleUpon and reddit were. I'd click on them to find out, but one day I made that mistake clicking on "Google Chrome", and had to do a "System Restore" on my computer to rid myself of it.
You had to do a system restore to get rid of Google Chrome (Google's web browser)? You should have been able to just remove it with the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Well, Del.icio.us is a place where you can save your bookmarks online. You can book mark all sorts of website and then have that list available to you from any computer.

Digg, Stumbleupon and Reddit are social news sites. When people click on the little button it puts a short article at the website (digg, stumbleupon or reddit.com), the more people who "digg" it or vote for it the higher it goes and the more often it shows up. It's kind of a way to see what's really popular or seen as important on the net.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I know how to do add/remove, but for some reason, the files were hiding. I mean, I couldn't find the main google download to remove, and I even did a search. I thought it was some trick they did on purpose. Then I got weary of it and really, it turned out to be easier to just do a system restore. Or maybe I had done it but then the computer was acting weird. I think it was the former though, and the removal with the weirdness was some other program I had run. I think system restore is so great, I use it ...more often than I would if I were more competent.

But thanks again for the info. You are a true computer geek, which in my book, rates you pretty high!

Old 23rd June 2009   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

I live by RSS feeds- have done so for years. I detest twitter.

I played with the feeds for here a bit, however, as John said there is so much traffic and so many posts each day,it is better to just come to the site.

Now for CC, which generally does not update 150 times per day, I would definitely add it to my feeds.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I voted in the last category. I have heard of twitter but have never been interested enough to learn anything about it. I'm gonna jump in my buggy so the horse can pull me home now.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I've moved this thread to the general discussion, so replies don't need to go through the queue system. Thanks for the feedback so far!

A simple way to receive RSS is through feedmyinbox.com

Old 24th June 2009   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information

I don't use RSS or Twitter.....no offense but there is nobody on this website I am interested enough to get tweets about....

Maybe I am too old to get the tweeting thing (33). Honestly unless Giselle Bunchen, or Megan Fox start raising and breeding caudates then I guess I will stay tweet free.... Honestly off subject does anyone care where Lindsey Lohan went clubbing, or what Tom Brady got for lunch???? Like I said I think tweeting is more for the younger 20 something audience...

merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: crazyfishlady has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by freves View Post
I voted in the last category. I have heard of twitter but have never been interested enough to learn anything about it. I'm gonna jump in my buggy so the horse can pull me home now.
Chip
Hahahahahah!

I've done the Myspace thing that got kinda lame after a while. Then on to facebook, which I have met up w/ some old friends and it's kind of entertaining now that all my family members have joined. I don't know, I think I'm just growing out of the release of personal information phase, maybe my life has been getting more dull, lol and I'm just refusing to take a look at this twitter thing. I especially don't want another reason to be sitting behind the computer all day.

crazyfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by freves View Post
I'm gonna jump in my buggy so the horse can pull me home now.
Chip
Hold the cart Chip, I need a ride back to town. I voted the last option as well since I have NO clue what all that mess is about, especially twitter. Besides, isn't half the fun of it staying on here all day, refreshing every twenty minutes, and getting nothing in the real life accomplished?

Old 26th June 2009   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: Lacey has started on the right path

I think twitter is great. For those of you who don't know what it is, you have 140 characters to tell all your followers what your doing. It's fun :)

Old 26th June 2009   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I want followers, and I want them to send me money.

Old 27th June 2009   #18 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

OK...time to come clean....

I met my now wife through social networking sites...

I kid you not.

I do have a facebook, and a myspace and a Twitter. I do not use them. Facebook and Myspace have become clogged with advertising and malware. twitter is just too short even for my own short attention span.

As for the sites RSS feeds, I have installed them into Google reader on my iGoogle page, and I must say that is the route to go.

All the new posts are right there, ready to access on my desktop homepage. With one click you are reading the body of the new post. With 2 more clicks you are in the thread and posting your reply. It even shows the pictures, if any, in the posts.

I wish I had used the Google Reader add on when I originally messed around with the RSS feeds on here.

Very useful.

I think one for CC would be equally useful, especially when I find myself referring to it a dozen or more times on a daily basis.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2009   #19 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
I want followers, and I want them to send me money.
Yes, everyone wants to be me. :P

Old 28th June 2009   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Yes, everyone wants to be me. :P
Why am I suddenly wishing that we had an emoticon for gagging or barfing?

Tags
forum, members, poll, rss, twitter

LinkBack