The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Scientific Nomenclature

This is a discussion on Scientific Nomenclature within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; As a gardener i find the use of scientific names invaluable, not to be pretentious but because it is soooo ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2014   #61 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SilentBenjam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scientific Nomenclature

As a gardener i find the use of scientific names invaluable, not to be pretentious but because it is soooo much easier, although for different reasons to animals.
There are many creatures with the same common name, but some plants have many many common names.
So actually learning the scientific name is less intellectual than learning all the different common names.
SilentBenjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016   #62 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

I feel most of the issues on this forum, although I love having the option to clarify my knowledge of scientific names - it does avoid a lot of confusion, although feel the pain of changing names! I recently read that A. mexicanum was previously Sirendum mexicana (c.1950). Even weirder, the same source argues that there has been debate as to how many types of axolotl there actually are.

Apologies for the one trick pony mentality on my part - I only have axxies.
Old 11th January 2016   #63 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 94
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle has given good advice and informationSith the turtle has given good advice and information

I've done research, and apparently the Four-toed salamander is one of the oldest species of Plethodontid (Even though most people already know that by now)