The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Neurergus kaiseri

This is a discussion on Neurergus kaiseri within the General Discussion & News from Members forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello all, I have been asked to help provide information to Helena Olsson from Parken Zoo. She is currently trying ...

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Neurergus kaiseri

Hello all,

I have been asked to help provide information to Helena Olsson from Parken Zoo. She is currently trying to start a studbook for the Iranian newts that are in captivity across Europe.
It would be very helpful if people that are breeding them in captivity in the private sector could let me know how many they have and how many they have bred.
At the moment the status of this species is unknown in the wild but it is believed that there are more kept in captivity, but future research in the field is being looked into. We would like to find out the origin of the bloodlines that we have in captivity. As the numbers are believed to be less than 500 in the wild we need to safe guard populations in captivity, so that in the worst case they became extinct in the wild we know we have good bloodlines for possible reintroductions.
Any information you have regarding this species is very helpful thank you very much for your time.
Kind Regards
Jay Redbond
My work email address is: jay.redbond@wwt.org.uk

Jay Redbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: RobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Neurergus kaiseri

Hi Jay,

Sorry I have only just seen your post.
I think there may be a lack of replies because there are already existing stud books and posts in this forum like yours. Perhaps you would have more luck if you could tell us what you or Helena are going to do different?

I cannot include myself here, but most breeders of N.kaiseri that use this forum are very experienced and responsible breeders. Therefore it is my personal opinion that it is their protection in the wild (both habitat and illegal trade) that would best benefit from Helena's and your help. However if you are interested in finding out about other studbooks for this species, I would recommend researching Jochen Kopetsch.

RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Hi Jay, as Rob says, a studbook already exists for N.kaiseri, held by Jocken in Germany. He can be contacted on jochen.kop​etsc[AT]arcor​.de (replace [AT] with @ symbol).

Any zoo taking a serious interest in this species would be warmly welcomed. N.kaiseri is relatively easy to maintain and breed in captivity and therefore makes a perfect ex-situ conservation project.

We have an excellent caresheet - compiled by breeders and keepers of this species here: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Neurergus kaiseri

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thanks this helps a little although I am slightly confused because Richard Gibbson from the Amphibian ark told me that there isnít one in Europe yet and Helena was about to start one and wanted help. But thanks for the information I will follow it up and definitely start a breeding program for this species.

Kind Regards
Jay

Jay Redbond is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack