The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

GBR Press: Have I got newts for you!

This is a Press Information page entitled GBR Press: Have I got newts for you! within the Press / News Items section of Caudata.org --- DAILY ECHO (Bournemouth, UK) 29 January 09 Have I got newts for you! (Luke Starr) Ponds across Purbeck are to be given a much- needed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2009   #1 (permalink)
Our Roving Correspondent

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: wes_von_papinešu is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgwes_von_papinešu is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgwes_von_papinešu is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgwes_von_papinešu is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgwes_von_papinešu is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgwes_von_papinešu is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgwes_von_papinešu is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgwes_von_papinešu is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default GBR Press: Have I got newts for you!

DAILY ECHO (Bournemouth, UK) 29 January 09 Have I got newts for you! (Luke Starr)
Ponds across Purbeck are to be given a much- needed boost thanks to a new initiative spearheaded by Dorset Wildlife Trust.
The Purbeck Important Ponds project aims to boost and increase the endangered wetland habitats over the next two years.
More than a third of countryside ponds in the UK have disappeared since the 1940s and if neglected more will dry up naturally.
The hope is that by creating new ponds the situation will improve.
Purbeck is home to a plethora of wetland wildlife, including nearly all known British dragonflies and the rare great crested newt, which is protected by law under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.
ďDorset contains some fantastic examples of ponds with wonderful dragonflies, plants, amphibians and more,Ē said Rachel Janes, rivers and wetlands conservation officer at Dorset Wildlife Trust.
ďPonds cover an amazing array of freshwater features, ranging from something little more than a puddle to Capability Brown-style lakes.
ďThis project is a very exciting opportunity to find out exactly what we have got and halt the decline.Ē
The programme has been developed to address targets in the governmentís draft Pond Habitat Action Plan that will be implemented by the Environment Agency.
Landowners will also be encouraged to participate in workshops to learn how to design successful new ponds, and the importance of protecting existing ones.
Even the untidy, murky pond is home to all manners of species, and careful consideration is needed before undertaking any sort of clearing operation.
The first step of the programme will involve mapping all of Purbeckís ponds before shortlisting those of highest priority because of their unusual biodiversity.
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...ewts_for_you_/

wes_von_papinešu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gbr, newts, press, press:, you!

LinkBack