The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

summer amphibian job -in Texas panhandle

This is a Press Information page entitled summer amphibian job -in Texas panhandle within the Press / News Items section of Caudata.org --- Hi all, Just a quick note here. We are looking for a field technician this summer, doing amphibian surveys. This will work well for college ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2009   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 0
Rep: paris has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default summer amphibian job -in Texas panhandle

Hi all,
Just a quick note here. We are looking for a field technician this summer, doing amphibian surveys. This will work well for college students or those needing field work experience. Mostly it is data collection and counting but it will also involve killing some specimens. Housing is provided but it is a bunk type set up-not gender separated.
here are all the details....

TITLE: Playa Wetland Field Technician
DESCRIPTION: Tech position for conducting amphibian surveys in playa wetlands
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
WORK LOCATION: Texas panhandle
PAY RATE: $1280/month
DURATION: May-August (specific dates will be worked out)
HOUSING: shared trailer provided at Buffalo Lake NWR, Umbarger, TX

This position requires an energetic individual who is interested in wetland biology, amphibian diversity, and is not opposed to working long hours. Field work may at times be rigorous, often including hiking in hot/strenuous conditions with survey equipment. Therefore, adaptability and tolerance of adverse field conditions is a requirement for applicants.

Duties will include: assisting with conducting both day and night amphibian surveys (prior knowledge of species is not required) by running visual transects as well as call surveys at night, taking soil core samples, measuring water loss rates, vegetation surveys (knowledge of wetland plants is not required, but useful), and assisting with maintenance of amphibians at the field station.

If interested please send resume by April 20, 2009 to:
April Bagwill, april.bagwill@okstate.edu
Oklahoma State University, Dept. of Zoology, 430 Life Sciences West,
Stillwater, OK 74074

paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: Socrates has shown reliable knowledgeSocrates has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: summer amphibian job -in Texas panhandle

Hi Paris, I am interested in this summer amphibian job. Is there anything else I need to send to April Bagwill besides my resume?

Old 30th March 2009   #3 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I salute anyone who takes up this position. You are a braver individual than I! Why? They have a special kind of mosquito on the Llano Estacado...

Old 30th March 2009   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I wonder how they compare to those Boreal forest mosquitoes.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

As I recall you need a Phalanx Close In Weapon System to deal with those mosquitoes, but I wish luck to anyone going for this position. It sounds like an excellent opportunity to get some field experience.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Rep: paris has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Hi Paris, I am interested in this summer amphibian job. Is there anything else I need to send to April Bagwill besides my resume?

nope-that should be it.

mosquitoes are incredible! they swam the car when you drive up -I have a personal vendetta against them. we have 'SWAT' parties after we slip into the car with our 'pretty princess' wands (aka fly swatters). I find obscene pleasure in leaving as many bloody multi-legged streaks as possible on the light gray ceiling of the truck.

paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The mosquitoes there are unlike most I've encountered elsewhere - they are active in full sunlight and they are very aggressive. They tend to travel in packs too, miles away from water.

Old 31st March 2009   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Sounds like Canada. We used to have contests over who could bring back to the office the most bodies before the end of the day.

Old 31st March 2009   #9 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Sounds like Canada. We used to have contests over who could bring back to the office the most bodies before the end of the day.
Texan mosquitoes are the size of small birds.

Old 31st March 2009   #10 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
"...with big, nasty, pointy teeth!"

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 21
Comments: 1
Rep: ravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Evidently youve never been to Alaska. I saw sworms about as big as school busses, they get as big as a state apparently, where I worked and on the way to the arctic ocean. Good times.

Old 31st March 2009   #12 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I'm with you on this one. Boreal/tundra mosquitoes are more voracious than anything I've ever seen.

Old 31st March 2009   #13 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
I'm with you on this one. Boreal/tundra mosquitoes are more voracious than anything I've ever seen.
I tell you those Llano Estacado mosquitoes are a breed apart. I've been plenty of places in the world and bitten by plenty of mosquito species, and my time in Lubbock this past October was a living hell (it was a few weeks after heavy rains). I've never seen cohorts of huge black mosquitoes flying around actively biting through clothes in full Texas sunlight before.

Old 1st April 2009   #14 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

We doused clothing in permethrin, and we took to wearing Carhartt's all day long in the middle of summer because the mosquitoes had a harder time biting through them. It didn't deter them completely, but it helped. And if you went without Carhartt's because it was 90F, and went with just the bug nets, they'd land on the place where the bug net was touching your skin, and bite through that. Jeans didn't even slow them down. I swear they drank DEET for breakfast. I think it actually attracted MORE mosquitoes. And blackflies.

At one point, I'd gone down to the swimming hole in my car to get a picture. I had to take the picture through the window because the mosquitoes were swarming into the car so bad.

Old 1st April 2009   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Oh come on, you guys are making all that stuff up about the mosquitoes.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009   #16 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

If only you knew, Princess of Otters. If only you knew.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from any field work. Every job has its downsides. Wetland biology's downside happens to be biting insects. Grassland biology? Glaring sun. Amphibian biology? Turned ankles on all those rocks.

Old 1st April 2009   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

Insects don't bother me, entomology is actually a little hobby of mine. Plus, I live in Northern Illinois, there is marshes everywhere and lots of mosquitoes! Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 1st April 2009   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I remember once having to run back to the car in the everglades because the mosquitos were swarming myself and a friend as we were trying to ID a dead snake on the side of the road (in the middle of the day). They were not very big but their bites hurt. I hate mosquitos, at least they are tolerable in VA.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009   #19 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Insects don't bother me, entomology is actually a little hobby of mine. Plus, I live in Northern Illinois, there is marshes everywhere and lots of mosquitoes! Thanks for the heads up though.
Ah but there are different species of mosquito my friend...

Old 2nd April 2009   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok good point lol. Well then, if i do somehow miraculously get this internship then I'll be sure to shower in DEET and bring with a massive flyswatter. Well, like they always say, everything is always bigger in Texas - including the mosquitos it seems.

Tags
amphibian, experience, field work, job, panhandle, summer, surveys, texas

LinkBack