The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Philadelphia Zoo and false information

This is a discussion on Philadelphia Zoo and false information within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Just need to vent something. I went to the Philadelphia Zoo yesterday after not having gone for 2 years. I ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By michael
  • 3 Post By Otterwoman
  • 1 Post By Blackbun
  • 2 Post By dutch guy
  • 1 Post By caleb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: axolotlfreak56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Philadelphia Zoo and false information

Just need to vent something. I went to the Philadelphia Zoo yesterday after not having gone for 2 years. I went to the Reptile and Amphibian house and they had a few enclosures for salamanders and newts. The first was a fire salamander and there was man standing next to the enclosure acting as some sort of zoo keeper. He actually told people fire salamanders have poison in their bellies that they are able to spit up to 6 feet when threatened.
This man repeated this to multiple people checking out the salamanders. Do they let just anyone work at these places?
Also, they had an enclosure for some Kaiser newts. I was wondering if the setup they have is a proper setup and the description above them says that these newts court on land. I could be wrong since I have not been able to breed these, but to my knowledge courtship takes place in the water like most other newts. How is this sort of thing able to be published?
Attached Thumbnails
Philadelphia Zoo and false information-20170730_134058.jpg   Philadelphia Zoo and false information-20170730_134143.jpg  

axolotlfreak56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Philadelphia Zoo and false information

The kaiseri info is wrong. Fire salamanders can shoot poison but not out of their belly. It is from glands on their backs.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

They forgot to add that the Emperor newts rule all the other newts.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Shooting poison any distance let alone 6 feet? That made me laugh.
Maybe you should write to the zoo and let them know after all we learn from each other.
I loved Philly zoo especially the giraffe.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dutch guy has shown reliable knowledgedutch guy has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
They forgot to add that the Emperor newts rule all the other newts.
Here is your majestyClick the image to open in full size.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk

dutch guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Fire salamanders have been recorded spraying venom up to 2 metres, according to this paper:
The Antipredator Arsenal of Fire Salamanders: Spraying of Secretions from Highly Pressurized Dorsal Skin Glands on JSTOR

There's even a photo of one mid-squirt, which is attached.

(I posted this previously here: Salamanders )
Attached Thumbnails
Philadelphia Zoo and false information-p2.jpg  

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Three cheers to Philly Zoo. Maybe I don't squeeze their tails hard enough!

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017   #8 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They need to be very threatened or stressed to shoot the poison.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack