The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

skink?

This is a discussion on skink? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; I need help on identifying this reptile I was outside In my front yard and I found this reptile laying ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Bowl of seeds has given good advice and informationBowl of seeds has given good advice and informationBowl of seeds has given good advice and information
Default skink?

I need help on identifying this reptile
I was outside In my front yard and I found this reptile laying on my driveway waiting to be killed :[
So picked It up and put him in a tank with dirt and water.
Was it right for me to take him inside or should I have left It where It was?
I think Its a skink but I'm not sure
please fill me in here
Attached Thumbnails
skink?-dsc00619.jpg   skink?-dsc00621.jpg   skink?-dsc00624.jpg  

Bowl of seeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 10
Rep: IanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: skink?

I'd say Southern Alligator Lizard is your best bet, found commonly around southern California.

If you don't want to have to deal with buying food and caring for it- or even possibly breaking the law, depending upon your local laws on collecting- then release it in a local park or somewhere that has similar conditions to the area you found it in (obviously not the drive way, but temperature and soroundings wise).
But, definately before keeping it, check the legality of it first.

Old 23rd May 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Definitely a Southern Alligator. Exceedingly common in Southern California. You must have a valid fishing license to posses one. Be very careful, these animals are aggressive and pack a nasty bite.

Fun note: Actually got a pair of these to breed back when I lived out there. Males have the most interesting courtship dance...

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Bowl of seeds has given good advice and informationBowl of seeds has given good advice and informationBowl of seeds has given good advice and information

Thanks for your help, I actually have gotten bitten by this one but it seems pretty tame now, I can grab it now but I think its best if I let it go.

Last edited by bellabelloo; 24th May 2009 at 20:30. Reason: Added some capital letters.
Bowl of seeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

They are ferocious biters, but thankfully they are smaller of the two species in Southern California. One detail I forgot to mention, they are also, "tail droppers". It is advisable not to handle them because of this. It never grows back to its full splendor (or length).

Old 26th May 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: aramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
They are ferocious biters, but thankfully they are smaller of the two species in Southern California. One detail I forgot to mention, they are also, "tail droppers". It is advisable not to handle them because of this. It never grows back to its full splendor (or length).
Judging by the third picture, this has already hapened to that chap :)

aramcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Most likely. The Alligator lizard has an exceedingly long, and fragile tail. Most do not make it to adulthood with their original tail intact.

Tags
i.d., lizard, reptile, skink

LinkBack