The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Disney Pixar's 2012 "Newt"

This is a discussion on Disney Pixar's 2012 "Newt" within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; I was so happy to see that this is going to be released, but it also concerns me that it ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information
Default Disney Pixar's 2012 "Newt"

I was so happy to see that this is going to be released, but it also concerns me that it will cause a boom in children wanting to own newts as pets. Which obviously brings pet shops a lot of money...not to mention a lot of wc animals into the market to satisfy the demand. All I can say is, I am excited to see the film, but I hope it doesn't have devastating effects on wild populations when demand soars!

Here are the links:

http://www.shakefire.com/pictures/mo...xars-newt-logo

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/25/...-release-date/

-jbherpin-

-William Shakespeare
jbherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Cruso has started on the right path
Default Re: Disney Pixar's 2012 "Newt"

This concerns me as well. I remember when Finding Nemo came out and every little kid wanted a clown fish. My aunt bought a salt water tank just for my little cousin.. it became infested with fire worms and the fish died.

I can't wait to see the movie though, the logo is cute.

Cruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Ah, yes, I think this has been mentioned before...

Disney To Release 'Newt' Animated Movie

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information

I'm sorry, I didn't search for related threads. I saw it and thought I should make the point of concern. I still will see the movie, and I doubt that Disney Pixar made this film with the intention of putting a strain on any wild populations. In reality, everything done has a consequence that is either positive or negative. The positive is that kids (and me...) will probably love the movie, and it will bring a new generation of enthusiasts to the hobby. The negative is that these new enthusiasts will learn through pet shop buys(like myself), and the demand will be very high if the movie is a success. A goofy positive is...maybe they'll make some cool toys! LOL! Have you ever seen a toy newt?

-jbherpin-

-William Shakespeare
jbherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: KJ_29 has given consistently excellent advice and informationKJ_29 has given consistently excellent advice and informationKJ_29 has given consistently excellent advice and informationKJ_29 has given consistently excellent advice and information

Maybe one of the newt characters in the film will break the fourth wall and start lecturing the audience about the benefits of the captive breeding of caudates; you never know :P

KJ_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Evidently, no one is going to see the movie. It has been canceled:
Pixar’s Newt Officially Canceled | /Film

The more I think about, the more I think I'm really glad they didn't make it. After every such movie, the demand for pets of the animal depicted goes way up. After Nemo, everyone was buying clownfish. After 101 Dalmations, the demand for dalmations went way up (with quick response from the puppy mills to crank out more of them). I wouldn't want to see that happen for newts, since most of the supply would come from WC/pet shop animals.

Last edited by Jennewt; 26th November 2010 at 21:19.
Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Opacum has shown reliable knowledgeOpacum has shown reliable knowledge

I'm more worried about what this film is going to do to Old World chameleons... Rango | Official Movie Site | In Theaters 2011 (And I fully intend to see it...)

Opacum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, disney, newt, pixar

LinkBack