The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help Identifying a ray type fish

This is a discussion on Help Identifying a ray type fish within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; This fish was seen at the Texas state aquarium. Its flat, round, doesn't seem to have a pointed "nose" is ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2009   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Help Identifying a ray type fish

This fish was seen at the Texas state aquarium. Its flat, round, doesn't seem to have a pointed "nose" is brown w/yellow spots and a white belly. I do not have a complete picture and no way to share it here at the moment.

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, but Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Master Oogway
ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 16
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Help Identifying a ray type fish

Do a google image search for "paratrygon." Is this what you saw? If so, these are species of freshwater stingrays.

Old 28th August 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Potamotrygon motoro

Old 28th August 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: lrry93 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree you saw a Motoro ray. They are very common in the pet trade but get pretty big. Not for less then a 2 ft wide tank. Should be even wider. Atleast a 6ft length as well

lrry93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 16
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Darn it! You beat me to it. Later last night, I turned the page on my fish atlas, saw that ray, and thought, "you know, that's probably what it is instead. Whatever. It's bed time. I'll throw in a new post in the morning."

That's what I get for my mortal sleeping needs. (sigh.)

Tags
fish, identifying, ray, type

LinkBack