The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Chat Event Results and Chat Log

This is a discussion on Chat Event Results and Chat Log within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Good morning! Last night's initial chat events went pretty well. Quite a bit of caudate related talk was had by ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2009   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Exclamation Chat Event Results and Chat Log

Good morning!

Last night's initial chat events went pretty well. Quite a bit of caudate related talk was had by those in attendance.

As an experiment, it was a success I feel.

Here is a copy of the Logs from the event(s). (The time stamps are a bit strange as this is pieced together from a few different copies)

I suspect that it may be wise to do a few more species specific events rather than general topics. I feel the axolotl half was better received than the Vivarium half.

Tells us what you think, if you were there. I suspect we can develop this into a regular event with a bit more polish and elbow grease.
Attached Files
File Type: txt C.org Chat Log.txt (29.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: txt C.org Chat 2.txt (14.0 KB, 117 views)

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Chat Event Results and Chat Log

I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next ones. I should also add that those that didn't attend becuase they thought they wouldn't have anything to add that they should really join in next time. It was quite a learning experience.

Old 26th September 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 6
Rep: Aimee has shown reliable knowledgeAimee has shown reliable knowledge

First of all, I'd like to say thank you, Johnny, for your efforts in planning and hosting such a great event!

I found that bringing together our caudate enthusiast community for the purposes of discussing the caudate issues/topics that interest us to be very stimulating and rewarding. Additionally, it was really great to get to know everyone better via a live chat environment versus the posting atmosphere that we are all so used to.

Though I was unable to attend the second chat event (), I thoroughly enjoyed the axie discussion. I do agree that topics should be narrowed down a bit further. Going in, I was unsure that there were enough questions to fill the time. What I found, however, was exactly the opposite!

Nevertheless, I learned a great deal and think this was a very worth while event. I look forward to future chat sessions

P.S. I read through the chat session I missed and didn't see any discussion on the question you posed, Johnny. What are the differences between terrariums, vivariums, paluadiums, and aquariums?

Cheers

Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Aye, Things were moving fairly well, so I left that one out.

But to answer that one:
Technically speaking, an enclosure featuring only plants is a terrarium.
A vivarium is any enclosure with live animals.
An aquarium is an aquatic enclosure for animals.
A palaudrium is a "wet" vivarium usually for bog plants or semi aquatic animals.

Old 27th September 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information

I think the event was a great success. I learned quite a bit about axolotls during the first half of the event. The vivarium half of the event was quite informative aswell.

I would like to encourage others to attend these events too. There is much you can learn from them. I will try to make time to be at most of them.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cichlidjedi has shown reliable knowledge

During the vivarium chat I learned a new formulation on mixing soils thank you John. Also on the axolotl chat session I got some info on the new ambystoma andersoni I will be getting next week. I'm not one that spends time chatting online but I have to say I enjoyed the event. I agree with species specific topics, but I guess the only downfall would be to those that are not into the species being discussed. Also I'm not sure if there is a protocol when chatting in a live event so you don't chat over or interupt someones chat questions?

Chuck

cichlidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

The chat room has a "private message" function that effectively creates a separate, private chat window that allows two folks to converse directly in real time.

Tags
chat, event, log, results

LinkBack