The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Advice on Betta Fish?

This is a discussion on Advice on Betta Fish? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; I know that there are a number of forums and sites that are dedicated to this topic, but you guys ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Jossie has started on the right path
Default Advice on Betta Fish?

I know that there are a number of forums and sites that are dedicated to this topic, but you guys seem to take very good care of your critters.
Plus I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere, and many of you seem to keep Bettas as well as your newts, salamanders and/or axies.

My question is, what is good for filtration?
They seem to have similar likes to axies (little water movement), but I was wondering what experience people have had with filters in their Betta tanks.

I'm trying to fix some of the things I previously had done wrong (my guy was in an unheated tank -slaps wrist-), and it seems I might need a filter or airstone or something.
One of my reasons is that I have an algae infestation.
I have brown algae on his substrate, and green on the glass.
He's also been upgraded to a larger tank (It's a 25L tank)

Jossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Mr Poseidon has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Advice on Betta Fish?

i keep two betta's

one of which i dont use a filter on, i change the water every day or everyother depending on how busy i am, the other is in a 10 gallon aqurium with other tropical fish and i have a hang on filter. i dont think he likes it. i would recomend a spong filter beacuse of their large fins they get "blown" around by the current and it stress's them out. You can tell beacuse the patch just under the gills gets very light.

hope that helps, also get a snail or two to help with the algae

Old 30th June 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: suztor has shown reliable knowledgesuztor has shown reliable knowledge

I used to keep a betta in my 72 (5 footish) gallon with an over the back filter and lots of plants. The tank had a slow side with an air stone and a fast side where the filter poured out. He and pregnant fish hung out on the slow side. Hiding in the heavy plants. While the other fish were on the other. He rarly ventured into the fast side.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old 30th June 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: The Banana has given good advice and informationThe Banana has given good advice and information

Hey Jossie,
I find with my Bettas, I have found sponge filters are perfect.
They don't provide a strong current, but are great at cleaning the tank!
Just give them a squeeze old water from the tank every few weeks, and you're good to go!

The Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Red Eft14 has started on the right path

yes use sponge filters,they cause little to no current and when I breed my bettas I use that and it does'nt even suck the babies up and the babies are really small in case you didnt know and they don't seem to be harmed by the sponge filter whatsoever and a 5 or 10 gallon is a good size tank and dont use anything bigger then a 10 gallon since they will get tired swimming up and down to breath air since they have big fins that will tire them,thats why they can be kept in in small tanks without alot of oxygen and thats also why you dont need any sort of aireation(allthough it wouldnt hurt them lol) unless you are breeding them since thee babies dont have the labyrinth organ(the organ that helps them breath atmospheric oxygen similar to us and function like our lungs)

Red Eft14 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack