The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Do you have access to a herp vet?

This is a discussion on Do you have access to a herp vet? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Originally Posted by Molch lol, noted But you said it yourself: you live in a large city, surrounded by civilization. ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

View Poll Results: do you have access to a herp-savvy veterinarian?

I have a herp vet nearby, no problem 31 26.72%
I have to cover some distance, but can get to one if necessary 15 12.93%
I might find one, if I spend a lot of time searching and travel a very long distance 31 26.72%
finding a herp vet in my area is pretty much hopeless 39 33.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2011   #21 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Do you have access to a herp vet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molch View Post
lol, noted

But you said it yourself: you live in a large city, surrounded by civilization. I tell ya, if you ever get to meet our average bush vet, you'd despair too. The only one within 500 miles works out of a tiny dilapidated shack with no running water, and he has neither the interest nor the expertise to research treatment on anything other than dogs. If I went to him with a newt problem, he'd say "Why don't you research it yourself and then tell me what you need". That's how it's done here - It's a third-world country.
That's how it is done here too. However, i bet we are closer to third world than ya'll up there.

Good news is, I have yet to need an actual prescription. On the two occasions I needed an injection of antibiotics for injured rescues, our vet had them in stock. I had to show him the proper injection sites, but it all worked out.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: aziraphale77 has given good advice and informationaziraphale77 has given good advice and informationaziraphale77 has given good advice and information

As a vet student, I will say that the experience of our exotic vets here at school with amphibians is varied. The ones that have experience are knowledgeable with the anurans, but they have a tendency to want to treat caudates the same as the anurans. I know one of my professors was baffled by the concept of refrigerating an axolotl. However, the professor turned around on the subject of refrigeration once I explained how well it works, and I find most veterinarians are open to listening. Unfortunately not everyone, not even those who are in the zoological field and see a great deal of herps, knows a lot about caudates specifically. When I graduate in a few months I will do my best with anyone who might live near me

PS I recently did a study on the effects of salt baths at different concentrations and durations on axolotls (essentially determining safety of different treatment recommendations) and when it is published I will post it on the forums!

aziraphale77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: vagus has given good advice and informationvagus has given good advice and information

We had many vets in this area that saw exotics.

Then Dr Dave showed up. Dr Dave is an "exotics vet" with experience with caudates, reptiles and marsupials.

Awesome!

However, other vets started declining exotics on the grounds that Dr Dave would be a better resource. The result: it takes a long time to get an appointment with Dr Dave.

We recently had another experienced vet establish in the area which is great. Still, I miss being able to take my dog, beardie, and axolotls to the same place or on short notice.

Old 19th January 2012   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 20
Rep: Grete has given good advice and informationGrete has given good advice and information

I guess I should count myself lucky that I have a herp vet an hour drive away. Not just one who knows a bit about them, rather one who assists the SPCA with rescue, rehab & rehoming species prohibited in BC (Caimans, Burmese Pythons, Reticulated Pythons, etc...). Meanwhile, his passion is amphibians (dendrobates), his andersoni & now the axolotl I gave him

Grete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I've bringing a bearded dragon poo sample to the vet shorty, and I plan on asking if they have any experience with axolotls in case I ever have an emergency. :) -=78fggggggggnbbbbbb (my cat had that to say about vets)

Chirple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: abd6017 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had someone who called themselves an exotic vet one town over. I thought "how lucky is this!" but then she basically butchered my rat and now miraculously "no longer accepts exotic animals". But because of that I've found an amazing vet practice 40 minutes away who actually does see all animals, including fish, amphibians, and rare reptiles. They have 4 different vets that work there so if one of them isn't an expert, they have someone who is. Sad that my poor rat had to suffer because a vet didn't want to admit their limitations

abd6017 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack