The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What's your favorite Family/Genus/Species to keep?

This is a discussion on What's your favorite Family/Genus/Species to keep? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Hi everyone, I thought I would just start this little poll to find out which species of Caudata each of ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

View Poll Results: What's your favoruite Family/Genus/Species to keep?

Ambystomatidae (Mole Salamanders) 15 6.55%
Axolotl's (Ambystoma mexicanum) 98 42.79%
Tylototriton (Crocodile & Knobby Newts) 12 5.24%
Echinotriton (Asian Spiny Newts) 0 0%
Triturus (Crested & Marbled Newts) 14 6.11%
Ommatotriton (Banded Newts) 0 0%
Neurergus (Middle-eastern Newts) 6 2.62%
Cynops (Fire Belly & Sword Tailed Newts) 23 10.04%
Paramesotrion (Asian Warty Newts) 7 3.06%
Sirenidae (Sirens) 0 0%
Plethodontidae (Lungless Salamanders) 11 4.80%
Amphiuma (Snake Like Salamanders) 0 0%
Notophthalmus (North American Newts) 10 4.37%
Pachytriton (Paddle-tail Newts) 2 0.87%
Pleurodeles (Ribbed Newts) 9 3.93%
Taricha (Western/Pacific Newts) 9 3.93%
Salamandra (European Salamanders) 7 3.06%
Proteidae (Mudpuppies & Waterdogs) 5 2.18%
Rhyacotritonidae (Torrent Salamanders) 0 0%
Hynobiidae (Asiatic Salamanders) 1 0.44%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By TylototritonGuy
  • 3 Post By TylototritonGuy
  • 1 Post By michael
  • 1 Post By Niels D
  • 1 Post By Ian T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Thumbs up What's your favorite Family/Genus/Species to keep?

Hi everyone,

I thought I would just start this little poll to find out which species of Caudata each of you likes to keep! Just a curiosity thing really (Think I may know the major answer for most of the forum! lmao) and also a bit of fun! lol

Unfortunately, the poll only allows up to 20 options so I will have to be a little vague and put down either the Genus or Family Names the species may come from. (However I will have Axolotl's in their own option though for you Axolotl lovers out there ) Sorry it is a little vague but tried to cover as many as I could.

Please after voting, comment on the thread with the exact species you love to keep!

Kind regards

TyloGuy

"Madagascar is an unrepeatable experiment, a set of animals and plants evolving in isolation for over 60 million years. We're still trying to unravel its mysteries. How tragic it would be if we lost it before we even understood it." David Attenborough

Last edited by TylototritonGuy; 15th June 2013 at 21:29.
TylototritonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: What's your favoruite Family/Genus/Species to keep?

Favourite species I currently keep in the Caudata way of things is my Wen Xian Knobby Newts (Tylototriton wenxianensis). Absolutely love them, incredibly bold my individuals and even though they are not a brilliantly marked species like some of the other Tylototriton species but they are gorgeous in my opinion!! :)

Click the image to open in full size.
Wen Xian Knobby Newt (Tylototriton wenxianensis) 2013

"Madagascar is an unrepeatable experiment, a set of animals and plants evolving in isolation for over 60 million years. We're still trying to unravel its mysteries. How tragic it would be if we lost it before we even understood it." David Attenborough
Old 16th June 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NathanKS has shown reliable knowledge

wheres the laotritron?

NathanKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanKS View Post
wheres the laotritron?
Like I said I couldn't add every single one only 20 options can be added but I suppose you could vote Paramesotriton in all honesty as that is a Synonym for the species lol

Old 17th June 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Kind of surprised that Ambystoma mexicanum hasn't received more votes!!

Old 17th June 2013   #6 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If you add the Ambystomidae votes and Ambystoma mexicanum together the Ambystomidae will win. It looks like Axolotl is the only one you listed at species level.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
If you add the Ambystomidae votes and Ambystoma mexicanum together the Ambystomidae will win. It looks like Axolotl is the only one you listed at species level.
Yeah they were the only one I gave their own option too mainly because they have their own specific section on the forum :) Thought I would mimic this in the Poll but in all honesty not even sure why the forum lists Axolotls out of the Ambystoma section :/

Old 22nd June 2013   #8 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylototritonGuy View Post
Y Thought I would mimic this in the Poll but in all honesty not even sure why the forum lists Axolotls out of the Ambystoma section :/
It is because their are more posts about axolotls on the forum than any other species. If we did a real scientific survey my guess is we would see that more salamander keepers in the world keep axolotls than any other single species of salamanders.

Considering the important use of axolotls by researchers I would go as far as to guess that their are more axolotls in captivity than any other single species of salamander in the world.

That's pretty interesting considering they are CITES listed and severely threatened in the wild.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: punctata has given good advice and informationpunctata has given good advice and informationpunctata has given good advice and information
Default Re: What's your favorite Family/Genus/Species to keep?

The voting shows that the caudates that are easier to find,cheaper, and easier to care for will have the highest vote because not everyone has the resources to find and care, or money for some of the more expensive caudates and some are more limited in numbers of availability. Fire bellys and Axolotls are the easiest caudate to get in the pet trade so more people will have them.

punctata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013   #10 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: What's your favorite Family/Genus/Species to keep?

But that doesn't make them less interesting of course. I have some uncommon species, but that doesn't make me love my H.orientalis group any less. I must admit that I haven't voted for FBN though. I love Paramesotriton and Tylototriton just a little bit more....

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Ian T has shown reliable knowledge

I have very limited experience but think both Verrucosus and Cristatus are great Newts to own. My Verrucosus are getting very tame and are actually quite cute when they're not trying to eat each other..! The Cristatus are active and I love watching them prowling round their tank hunting...

Ian T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fave species, favourite, keeping, poll, species

LinkBack