The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What do you feed right after metamorphoses?

This is a discussion on What do you feed right after metamorphoses? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Hi all, So I am wondering what you feed newly metamorphosed or very small morphs? Preferably individuals that have been ...

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

View Poll Results: what do you feed your newly morphed mphibians?

Aquiatic insect larvae ( like bloodworms ) 12 30.00%
Crickets, Locust, Roaches 4 10.00%
Daphnia, Moina, Brine shrimp etc. 10 25.00%
Earthworms Nightcrawlers etc. 14 35.00%
Fish/Fish relted, as frozen or live food 2 5.00%
Flies/Fly Maggots 1 2.50%
Fruitflies 9 22.50%
Scuds, Freshwater shrimp, Slaters Woodlice etc. 1 2.50%
Springtails ( Collembolla ) Firebrats, Silverfish etc. 7 17.50%
Tubifex, Blackworms and other aquiatic worms 9 22.50%
Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots etc. 6 15.00%
White and Grindal worms ( Enchytraea ) 5 12.50%
Random bugs from outside/ dont know what they are 3 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2014   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default What do you feed right after metamorphoses?

Hi all,

So I am wondering what you feed newly metamorphosed or very small morphs? Preferably individuals that have been metamorphosed for 3 months or LESS. But the sooner the morphed individual the better.

Also, this is a multiple choice poll. So lets say you have newly morphed T. verrucosus, what do you feed them? Bloodworms and earthworms? Tubifex worms and daphnia? Or just one thing?

I may miss some things, and if I do, please comment.

-Seth

Old 18th February 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: What do you feed right after metamorphoses?

I was lucky when my baby pyrrhos morphed, quite by chance i discovered a huge colony of some kind of midge larvae in the filter on my Koi pool. I don't know exactly what they were but the newts loved them, there were huge numbers of them stuck to the sides where the current was strongest. I also fed them small pieces of chopped earthworm, lesser waxworms, aphids and anything i could sweep out the long grass with a net. Once they got used to being hand fed with tweezers they would try anything that was offered in that way, if they didn't like it they would just spit it out and I wouldn't bother offering it again!
Here's a snap of a really small juvenile enjoying his 1st meal after morphing. :)
Attached Thumbnails
What do you feed right after metamorphoses?-worms-tea-003.jpg  

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: What do you feed right after metamorphoses?

If they stay semi-aquatic, then blackworms and daphnia. If they are terrestrial, then fruit flies and/or pinhead crickets. I also use small white isopods in my terrariums, but I'm never sure if they actually eat those or not.

LinkBack