The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.

This is a discussion on The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel. within the Book Reviews forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Ok, i really like Salamandra and i really like this book, so when a very nice, friendly, german giant asked ...

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Azhael
  • 1 Post By brigrahm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2017   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.

Ok, i really like Salamandra and i really like this book, so when a very nice, friendly, german giant asked me to say a few words about his very nice book, i could hardly say no. Allow me to fetch a foulard and a pair of hipster glasses and go full pretentious reviewer on you:

It's no mean feat managing to produce a book that is packed with excellent information while simultaneously bombarding you with a miriad of gorgeous photographs, and this book does it in style. Providing a veritable education on all things Salamandra, this book explores every topic, from the origins of the genus in the dawn of Natural History, to the latest discoveries in the complicated phylogenetic relationships whithin it, from their biology, ecology, distribution and the challenges of their conservation to everything you could possibly need to know to succeed in their captive care and reproduction. It is a celebration of the genus Salamandra and its special place not only in the hearts and minds of those who admire their striking beauty, but also as a biologically fascinating, remarkably diverse and unique genus, for when Charles Darwin wrote the phrase “endless forms most beautiful”, in the back of his mind, he must have been thinking of the genus Salamandra (or at least, he bloody well should have).

Maybe you are someone who has just discovered the existence of these fascinating creatures and would like to learn more about them, a dedicated hobbyist looking for a definitive guide on their captive care and reproduction, or maybe you are just in love with these captivating amphibians and can't get enough of them. Either way, you are not going to find a better, more up to date, accessible and complete resource than this, this book is not just a detailed treatise of the entire genus and a treasure trove of captive-rearing knowledge but also a luxurious collection of high-quality pictures that pays respect to the extreme variability and intense, dazzling beauty of all of the various forms.

Fire salamanders and their close relatives have conquered the european and mediterranean land and its inhabitant's minds like no other amphibian, so it is proper that they should be given tribute and the author's of this book have let their admiration for these wonderful creatures shine through every page.

And now, because you have survived that (i warned you it was going to be pretentious, but this genus demands nothing less, it can't be helped), here are some sample pages.

The book is available in english or german, from: The Genus Salamandra
Attached Thumbnails
The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.-031.jpg   The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.-137.jpg   The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.-148.jpg   The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.-195.jpg   The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.-298.jpg  

The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.-472.jpg  

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 150
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. With all the neglect and lack of information and true descriptions of the reptiles and amphibians that live in my country, I wouldn't be to surprised to find out a small population of S.infraimmaculata lived in the northwestern tree-covered mountains of Jordan

Old 10th February 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: brigrahm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Genus Salamandra by Philip Gerhardt and Uwe Seidel.

This looks fascinating! Totally buying this Thanks for sharing!!

brigrahm is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack