The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Book recommendations?

This is a discussion on Book recommendations? within the Book Reviews forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; I am looking for some books to purchase, specifically about newt and salamander care. Last week I bought the Amphibian ...

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2007   #1 (permalink)
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Book recommendations?

I am looking for some books to purchase, specifically about newt and salamander care. Last week I bought the Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry book to try to help my sick eastern newt (who subsequently passed away). I know lots of people raved about the book, so I was willing to shell out $160 for it. Sadly, I am VERY disappointed with it. I am sure it's a fantastic source for someone who is studying to be a vet or for those people who are well versed in graduate level biology. I am neither. Although I AM a science teacher, I found the book very hard to follow and I am sure the average "layman", like myself, will be more puzzled than helped by it. (Just me 2 cents- I know a lot of you love the book......sorry) Are there any books on the market that are geared more specifically towards newts and salamanders (as opposed to the wide range of caudata in general) that are easy to understand? After looking at the Amphibian Medicine book the last few days I really think alot of the moderators and helpful people here should pool their resoruces to write a book...I've understood more here than any other newt source (book, internet or otherwise) I've seen.

Old 29th April 2007   #2 (permalink)
abrahm

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Unfortunately finding decent books on the captive husbandry of amphibians, let alone caudates is quite difficult. There are good books for the more expensive and popular animals like dart frogs, but there are very few resources that I have found for other amphibians that deal exclusively with captive husbandry. Often times your best bet is to read natural history accounts and try to adapt that to captive conditions.

With that line of reasoning I would suggest looking at Salamanders of the United States and Canada by Petranka for US species natural history and while I haven't read it The Newts and Salamanders of Europe is a similar reference for European species. Sadly I know of no texts on Asian animals. With either of these books I would recommend finding them at a library first to help you determine if they are helpful to you. Try a university library if at all possible.

Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry is definitely an advanced book. It is useful for the really advanced hobbyist or with someone who is willing to put a lot of effort in to understand it. It is certainly not a resource most people would go to. I always though renting it from a university library would be the best choice and that is what I do, but I would like to buy it someday.

As for a book by Caudata.org. I have been contemplating that for a while now. It would be great to consolidate the Caudata Culture species pages and articles along with other assorted information and make a print on demand book at a place like Lulu. People can order a nicely bound version of Caudata Culture, either hardbound or paperback just like any popular book. It removes a lot of the cost of publishing a book: no huge print runs that need to be printed to drive price down and therefore no huge initial investment. It's a great idea, but it would take a lot of time and effort to accomplish.

Old 29th April 2007   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ryan has started on the right path

This book is pretty good about how to take care of certin caudate species: <u>Newts &amp; Salamanders: Everything About Selection, Care, Nutrition, Diseases, Breeding, &amp; Behavior
by Frank Indiviglio, Michele Earle-Bridges (Illustrator), Michele Earle-Bridges (Illustrator), Richard D. Barlett (Photographer), R. D. Barlett (Photographer)</u>

Here is a sight http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...7793&amp;itm=1

ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Keeping and breeding Amphibians by Chris Mattison is pretty good. Breeding Terrarium Animals by Zimnmerman is good. Newts and Salamanders by Indiviglio is probably more like what you are looking for. Many of the best books are very technical. I think you will find caudata culture to be your best resource.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jayne has started on the right path

I bought 'Newts Their Care In Captivity' by Jordan Patterson ISBN 0-7938-0274-1. Although I have a few unanswered questions its a book i'd recommend for beginners.

jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I was looking on my bookcase for books to take to the school and re-discovered a book called ' The World of Amphibians and Reptiles by Milli Ubertazzi Tanara and printed through Sampson Low Guides ( sbn 562 00113 1) I baught this in 1980 ( i was about 13!) for 4.95 with my birthday and christmas money, no idea if it is in print still, but I have just started reading it again and I am really enjoying it. Amazon funnily have some on sale for just over 4. as second hand.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I hadn't noticed Karen's original post when it was made. She's not the only person I've heard of having difficulty with the Wright & Whitaker AMCH book. I find it hard to find exactly what I need from it - and some of what I would like to find just isn't there. But for amphibian medical treatment, it's pretty much all we've got! It's really not written as a how-to guide, and I think that is what would be most useful to laymen, including me.

I appreciate your suggestion that the mods here should write a book, but it's not a simple task. We try to put the information we know into posts and articles, but most of what we know about treatment is based on anecdotes, not science.

Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: newtron has started on the right path

Even if it is based on anecdotes it is still fantastic groundwork for the development of tested and true fact.s

newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007   #9 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

One of the big benefits if you have the Wright and Whitaker book is that you can take it to the vets with you so they have a reference to check what they want to to do....

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, recommendations

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 29th August 2017, 09:34 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack