The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Book Review: Newt and Salamanders: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual (Indiviglio)

This is a discussion on Book Review: Newt and Salamanders: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual (Indiviglio) within the Book Reviews forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Originally Posted by Jennewt I can't tell you how disappointed I am to hear this. But I thank you for ...

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2009   #21 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Book Review: Newt and Salamanders: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual (Indiviglio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
I can't tell you how disappointed I am to hear this. But I thank you for your post.
That is why we have POD (Publish On Demand), aka publish your own book using online services that print it and send it to Amazon, B&N, and old fashioned book shops all over the world.

Old 16th February 2009   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information
Default Re: Book Review: Newt and Salamanders: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual (Indiviglio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
That is why we have POD (Publish On Demand), aka publish your own book using online services that print it and send it to Amazon, B&N, and old fashioned book shops all over the world.
Do I sense a strictly Necturus book in the future?... well maybe with some sirens too

Old 17th February 2009   #23 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

I am also disappointed by the loss of some text. I was hoping that if anything more would be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
You can easily have your own books professionally printed these days but I think it is a bit more difficult to get yourself in the three-tiered system or Amazon (unless you use their POD service which supposedly isn't as cost effective as Lulu). To enter distribution you would need a lot of books which also removes one of the benefits of POD service; low barrier to entry.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009   #24 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Lulu offers all of those facilities actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrahm View Post
I am also disappointed by the loss of some text. I was hoping that if anything more would be added.

You can easily have your own books professionally printed these days but I think it is a bit more difficult to get yourself in the three-tiered system or Amazon (unless you use their POD service which supposedly isn't as cost effective as Lulu). To enter distribution you would need a lot of books which also removes one of the benefits of POD service; low barrier to entry.

Old 18th February 2009   #25 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Hi Ryan,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that,

Best, Frank

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009   #26 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Hi All,

Thanks very much for your notes.

I've thought about self-publishing but do not really have enough information. Also, as writing and consulting are my primary means of support, I need to be practical (I'm also locked into the revision via my original contract with the publisher!).

I've always tended towards the unstudied and under-appreciated, in creatures ranging from inverts to mammals (when working with mammals at the Bronx Zoo, I focused on bats, mustelids and rodents) and would write solely about such if able...but, unfortunately, I usually need to go with what publisher's want. I have a great deal of leeway on my blogs at www.thatpetplace.com and so can use that as an outlet for my interests at times.

Some time ago I wrote The Everything Aquarium Aquarium Book. The publisher, Adam's Media, let me include leeches, some amphibians, frog-mouthed catfishes, aquatic insects, spider crabs and other favorites, but that was highly unusual.

Perhaps I'll tap some of you for self-publishing advice in the future, if you don't mind.

Again, thanks for the warm reception,

Best, Frank Indiviglio

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009   #27 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 13
Rep: Jadore axolotl has started on the right path

Just a note...
This book's second edition is out in 2010: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newts-Salama...6910027&sr=1-2

But only 96 pages according to amazon... don't second editions usually have more pages... I wonder what has changed :S

Jadore axolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009   #28 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Maybe Frank will say something publicly about it (he's a member here). He mentioned this to me before privately though. I got the impression he wasn't crazy about shrinking it.

Old 21st February 2010   #29 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by findi View Post
Hello, Frank Indiviglio here.

I would like first to apologize in taking so long to view the very generous comments posted about my book...Dawn was kind enough to draw my attention to it...much appreciated, Dawn.

A new edition of the book will be published within the next year or so...it will have many new photos, but, per publishers new guidelines, a good deal less text....well, hopefully we can cover some of the deleted matters here.

The new edition of Newts and Salamanders by Indiviglio is out. I plan to pick up a copy to see what changes were made.

Last edited by Otterwoman; 21st February 2010 at 16:43. Reason: fixed quote
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010   #30 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

First class book. I saw the new edition, but I like the old one better: it has more information, and still plenty of nice pics.

Btw, there is a mistake on page 11 that, unfortunately, has not been corrected in the 2nd edition: the pic is labeled Crested newt (T. cristatus), but the drawing is clearly of a L. vulgaris in breeding plumage.

Molch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010   #31 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: DeCypher has shown reliable knowledge

First book I ever got on caudates. It's a one-of-a-kind book...love it!

DeCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: lexmiller has started on the right path

That was one of the first books I bought as a young hobbyist. I did not understand much of the inofrmation in it then(2000), but I have often refered back to that book when I need a good little read, and then I find I learn something new each time.

Old 1st March 2011   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Allistor has given good advice and informationAllistor has given good advice and information

That is my very first book that I read about newts and salamanders.
A very experienced person on the hobby lent it to me and he said that my lack of basic ideas was due to so much dispersed and confusing information that is all around the Internet. He said it right that way: "After you read this book you will know exactly what is the information available that is not trash and also you will get another perspective about keeping newts and salamanders." Guess what? He was totally right!!
It's very important to be reading the other hobbyists experiences, being active in some groups and go on search for somethings that could be important but keeping on the search without having some pre-designed ideas means that you will read much non-important information leading any beginner to be lacking of basics on the hobby.
The book that I got here in my hands is the Spanish version with 240 pages entitled as "El Nuevo Libro de Salamandras y Tritones". I had no idea that this book was a translated version from the original "Newts and Salamanders" and I was preparing myself to write a review. The book begins with information about the some considerations about understanding salamanders and then going on the kinds of setups and it's maintenance, feeding, health and some care-sheets (being very briefly). The experiences described by the author are very fascinating. Maybe this book could be kindly more completed if it touched on the Paramesotriton complex.
I loved to read it and I am not sure if I am going to buy the English or the Spanish version. If I get a nice book supplier from Spain I think that will be the version that I will enjoy the most. I am Portuguese and I had almost no difficulty to understand Spanish.
There was just one thing that i didn't understood and google didn't helped me with this: what kind of live food the author refers to when he says "gusanos negros"? I first thought it could be tubifex but no, it isn't. If someone could help me with this And also if someone knows a book supply from Spain that ships to Portugal I would really appreciate a PM with that information.
I really do recommend that book to anyone who is a caudata hobbyist!

Allistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011   #34 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Alejandro has given consistently good advice and informationAlejandro has given consistently good advice and informationAlejandro has given consistently good advice and information

I think they may refer to blackworms (Lumbriculus variegatus) when tjey say "gusanos negros".

Alejandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: laalflaach has started on the right path
Talking Re: Book Review: Newt and Salamanders: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual (Indiviglio)

I ordered this book last night, just waiting for it to arrive so I can start reading it!

laalflaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013   #36 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lugubris has given good advice and informationLugubris has given good advice and informationLugubris has given good advice and information

I picked up the second edition of this book today in a pet store (which had no newts or salamanders for sale, oddly enough) knowing absolutely nothing about it before hand. I am glad that I bought it. Being at least somewhat experienced in salamander care, I knew a lot of the information in it already, but it also contained lots of info and ideas that had never occurred to me before.

I greatly enjoyed the section on salamander body language, and hope some day I will be able to use the breeding information. It's a terrific quick reference book, especially for diagnosing illness/wounds. It will be great to have for those times when I can't access caudata.org. The plethora of pictures also make it great for those deciding what species to acquire.

Might have to buy the first edition used online someday!

Tags
book, complete, indiviglio, manual, newt, owner, pet, review, salamanders

LinkBack