The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Good Rep Vs Bad Rep

This is a discussion on Good Rep Vs Bad Rep within the Forum Questions (technical, not newts!) forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Hello, Since the old topic on Reputation was from 2012, I wanted to ask here about it as I am ...

Forum Questions (technical, not newts!) Questions about how to use the Forum and technical issues.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By sde
  • 2 Post By Se

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2014   #1 (permalink)
Se

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Se has shown reliable knowledge
Default Good Rep Vs Bad Rep

Hello,

Since the old topic on Reputation was from 2012, I wanted to ask here about it as I am a bit confused on how the reputation system works here.

So, as is obvious by my reputation to the side, I gave a piece of advice that got flagged as bad. (It was on something that there is debate on the forums about (bacteria quick starts in axolotl tanks) on a topic where someone was worried about.) So I made a new post on the thread, apologizing for the poor advice and trying to give other good advice, as well as linked to a general tank cycling thread filled with lots of information. The second post got rated as a good post.

But my rep is still at -5. So is a single negative post worth more points into the negatives than a good rep post is into the positives? And do likes add to the reputation at all?

I guess I'm just worried because I don't know how big a deal reputation is on this site, and I've had a couple people thank me or like my posts when I tried to help them, but my rep is still red. So while I think I've helped them, I worry that I haven't, or that the bad advice I gave outweighs the good?

Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Good Rep Vs Bad Rep

I am actually quite surprised you got a negative rep for that post, you clearly stated it was a debated topic, and said your opinions.

Anyway, the reason that one negative rep has more power than a positive rep ( in your case ) is because the person that gave you the negative rep has more power than the person who gave you the positive one. See, if someone who had four rep bars ( for instance ) were to give you a negative rep, and then someone who had two rep bars ( for instance ) gave you a positive rep you would still have negative rep because the person who gave you the negative rep has more rep bars then the person who gave you the positive rep.
Likes don't give any reputation.
Rep power on this site basically shows how reliable, knowledgeable, or respected someone is. Though it doesn't necessarily denote who to trust and who not to. Like if someone were super smart when it comes to a certain newt species, but isn't as smart about axolotls, and then posts something about axolotls it may not be correct. But, in general, people with high rep power can be trusted.
If someone likes your post it is probably because they found it either accurate, they agreed with it, thought it was funny ( yes that happens ), enjoyed pictures etc.. So if you give advice and the OP likes it then you have most likely helped them, regardless of your rep.
Whew, that was longer than was intended....
-Seth

Old 19th December 2014   #3 (permalink)
Se

Nationality:

Ah I see. Thank you so much for the reply, Seth! I'm glad to understand how the system works a bit better. This also helps me feel a bit better about the negative rep thing too. I'm glad to know how likes work as well, so I'll just be happy when I can help someone then, regardless of rep or not.

I appreciate the thorough reply! I'll just make sure to keep being be extra careful when I give out advice since I'm certainly no expert, but I at least like to help people when it's some super basic axolotl question.

Old 19th December 2014   #4 (permalink)
Se

Nationality:

Ah, sorry for the reply again but... I just saw someone gave me some rep. I really appreciate the boost back into the green. Thank you so much, whoever it was, for being so kind. I'll do my best to make sure I earn it and try to help others here with what I can.

And thanks again, Seth, for the wonderful explanation!

Old 21st December 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nachtmare has shown reliable knowledge

I've had the same thing happen to me. (get a bad rep from an opinion) but like Seth said it eventually went back to normal and now green. Just keep posting around and reading others post to combine with your own that way you are 1. getting more knowledge and 2. eventually someone will like your post and put you into the positive.

I do like that you posted again apologizing for your mistake. Own up to it and move on and you did just that. It's not like you are purposfully using something to harm your lotls. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

-Unknown-
Nachtmare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
likes, rep, reputation

LinkBack