The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Why the minimum post requirements?

This is a discussion on Why the minimum post requirements? within the Forum Questions (technical, not newts!) forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; Hi there, I'm new here. I'm confused with the minimum post requirement for some of the forums. Why does caudata ...

Forum Questions (technical, not newts!) Questions about how to use the Forum and technical issues.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: gfsward has started on the right path
Default Why the minimum post requirements?

Hi there,
I'm new here. I'm confused with the minimum post requirement for some of the forums. Why does caudata have that?
Thanks

gfsward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: ?

We would like to think our members like us for our content, rather than use us for our classifieds!

Plus, it keeps 'chatter' out of the serious discussion sections of the forum, which makes more curmudgeonly members happy to not sift through the 'omg, how cute' threads.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: ?

The advertising forums have a minimum post requirement. (1) This allows potential buyers/sellers to see at least a little bit of what a new person has to say before deciding to deal with them. (2) It keeps out people who only want to post ads but not participate.

The advanced form areas have a minimum "rep" requirement to post without mod approval. Anyone can post there, but posts will be screened for drivel.

Last edited by Jennewt; 18th March 2012 at 17:06. Reason: spelling correction
Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: albear28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Why the minimum post requirements?

I'm new here, why can't I post something in the wanted forum?

albear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Jenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Why the minimum post requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albear28 View Post
I'm new here, why can't I post something in the wanted forum?
for the same reasons discussed above - we want to make sure members are joining for more than just the wanted/sale section.

Old 25th March 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: frenzyfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally found what the minimum post requirement is. You need to post 5 posts and an hour after your fifth post you can post on the for sale/wanted forums. This information should be easier to find. There is nothing like joining something you're really excited and passionate about and then you still don't have full access to and can't figure out why. It's pretty frustrating and kind of kills the excitement for the site.

frenzyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and informationJenste has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyfan View Post
I finally found what the minimum post requirement is. You need to post 5 posts and an hour after your fifth post you can post on the for sale/wanted forums. This information should be easier to find. There is nothing like joining something you're really excited and passionate about and then you still don't have full access to and can't figure out why. It's pretty frustrating and kind of kills the excitement for the site.
5 posts is still very easy to do and an hour of time to prevent spammers abusing our forum is well worth it to us.

I doubt many people will say that it killed the excitement of the site. It is to keep our site protected after all and they are also receiving a protected site by joining. Otherwise it would end up being very similar to the old chat rooms that became so over run with spammers that it ruined them because there were no regulations.

Old 25th March 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: frenzyfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
5 posts is still very easy to do and an hour of time to prevent spammers abusing our forum is well worth it to us.

I doubt many people will say that it killed the excitement of the site. It is to keep our site protected after all and they are also receiving a protected site by joining. Otherwise it would end up being very similar to the old chat rooms that became so over run with spammers that it ruined them because there were no regulations.

It's not the requirement that is frustrating, that is understandable and expected. It's how difficult it is to find what the requirement is that's frustrating... I'm just saying the information about the requirement should be easier to find.

Last edited by frenzyfan; 26th March 2012 at 00:48.
frenzyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyfan View Post
It's not the requirement that is frustrating, that is understandable and expected. It's how difficult it is to find what the requirement is that's frustrating... I'm just saying the information about the requirement should be easier to find.
When a new users attempts to post in the ads, they get this message displayed:

Username, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
  3. If you are a normal registered user trying to post to the advertisement section of the forum you must have a 1 post minimum to receive permission to post here. Be aware that posting a nonsense post to allow you to advertise will not give you instant access to this section so please don't try that.
John needs to revise that to say 5 posts, not one. It's out of date. Once that info is correct, it seems reasonably easy to find what the requirement is.

Also, every advertising forum has a Sticky post saying "Please read this before posting", and that information explains the 5 post minimum.

Old 26th March 2012   #10 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
John needs to revise that to say 5 posts, not one.
Yes Mistress! Your wish is my command . (I've made the change)

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mrmorrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the explanation of the minimum posts. This makes getting started as a New Member much easier! I am sure it is posted else where, but I am glad to have run across the explanation on tis visit.

mrmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jayzak is an unknown quantity at this point

it seems like im not the only one with the min requirement. the 5 post is reasonable but it should've been lifted when that members been around say...6 months?
when i first started i though noobs aren't allow to post, so i waited 1 year and return to find out that my account still cant post.

jayzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chloemae is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Why the minimum post requirements?

I was not aware of the 5 post minimum and have been a member here for several years. I now have axolotl eggs that I wish to sell (versus just selling them locally to people with no expertise).....

chloemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

The minimum post rule is because the site is primarily about education and conservation, not a free for all trading post. Without the minimum post rule the trade area would soon fill up with all kinds of spam and scams, if you post your eggs for sale add I'll approve it now you have more than 5 posts.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Davidsalamander is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I new here also and can't post anything so how do I do it. I already posted my introduction and wrote how much I find newts and salamanders a passion to study and to love. so please some one help.

Davidsalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I like to think we are part of a community here. This is where we learn about our animals from others and share our experiences. Reading through various posts you may well come across some that you can add information to or ideas. Some posts you may find there is something you are unsure about, ask a question :) I think it is very easy to post here and get those initial posts....but once you get them.......don't stop. Keep reading them, dig into the old posts and enjoy using the forum

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsalamander View Post
Yeah I new here also and can't post anything so how do I do it. I already posted my introduction and wrote how much I find newts and salamanders a passion to study and to love. so please some one help.
You can post, but unless you are posting in the "help" section a moderator has to approve it. Just takes a little time, depending on when the next mod comes on and approves posts. It's all volunteer work. :)

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: krenae has shown reliable knowledge

"It keeps out people who only want to post ads but not participate." Yea, well, it also chases ppl away. I'm new, unless I post gibberish nonsense, something you've warned against in your policies, I don't have five things to post here. I came to READ and LEARN, I have no info or knowledge to share yet, so I'm out of luck now that I feel ready to purchase my first Axie and want to buy from a reputable site of knowledgeable ppl. I've contacted 2 moderators trying to explain this, gotten no response from either so I can't respond to ppl who are selling. Your rule is very prohibitive and rather insulting to those who are here to gain knowledge from what others have shared but don't happen to have anything to say.

krenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: krenae has shown reliable knowledge

And I'm going to post one more so I can get my five, and excuse me if it's not properly informative. How can I help, share, inform when I have no experience? That's why I came here....TO READ so I could LEARN, not to talk with nothing to say!

Five and counting.....Thank you!

krenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017   #20 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Private message is by far the best way to respond to ads. It's what I do. You don't place another advert to answer an advert on craigslist, you phone or email the seller. The 5 post requirement is only for posting in the advertisement section.

LinkBack