The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Caudata.org Grant Poll

This is a discussion on Caudata.org Grant Poll within the 2009 Grant forums, part of the General Discussion & News from Members category; I didn't contribute to this donation drive, as I don't feel that my personal finances as a zookeeper are my ...

2009 Grant For viewing details and voting for the grant.

View Poll Results: Which Project should get the 2009 Caudata.org Grant? (READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE VOTING)

Distributional modelling and ecological research on Salamandra algira in Morocco with emphasis on different genetic lineages - Salamandra algira 0 0%
Effect of magnetic nanoparticles on newt behavior - Notophthalmus viridescens 0 0%
Conservation status and systematics of Chiropterotriton multidentatus (Caudata: Plethodontidae) - Chiropterotriton multidentatus 0 0%
Is chytridiomycosis affecting Appalachian salamanders? - Appalachian salamanders 2 10.00%
Habitat preferences of the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) within its refugee’s canals - Axolotl/Ambystoma mexicanum 1 5.00%
Pandi mushroom-tongue salamander Project: Conservation status assessment of a threatened Andean salamander from Colombia - Bolitoglossa pandi 2 10.00%
Comparative landscape genetics of two amphibians endemic to the Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt of Central Mexico - Mexico Ambystoma & Pseudoeurycea 0 0%
Systematics of the Pseudoeurycea cephalica group - Pseudoeurycea cephalica 0 0%
Conservation Genetics of Hellbender Salamanders in New York: the use of mtDNA for Population Structure and Diversity Estimates - Hellbender/Cryptobranchus alleganiensis 6 30.00%
The Salamanders of the Valley de Sibundoy-Mocoa (Putumayo, Colombia) transect - Colombian Bolitoglossa 0 0%
Continued Surveys for the Fungal Pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in Georgia Salamander Assemblages - Bd in Georgia, USA 4 20.00%
Systematics and phylogeny of the species complex Bolitoglossa franklini / lincolni (Caudata: Plethodontidae) - Bolitoglossa franklini 0 0%
Variation in Four-toed Salamander, Hemidactylium scutatum, Microhabitat Use Across Age Groups and Sexes - Hemidactylium scutatum 0 0%
Population status, presence of Batrachochythridium dendrobatidis (Bd) and the effect of the Transoceanic highway of Bolitoglossa altamazonica in the Vilcabamba – Amboro corridor in Perú - Peru Bolitoglossa 0 0%
Survey and assessment of aquatic salamander species in the French Creek Drainage of the Allegheny Basin - Hellbender/Cryptobranchus a. alleganiensis and Mudpuppy/Necturus maculosus 0 0%
Captive propagation of Endangered Guatemalan Salamanders - Guatemalan Bolitoglossa 3 15.00%
Survey of Chytrid fungus presence on the three species of salamanders in Peru - Bd in Peru 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2009   #41 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Caudata.org Grant Poll

I didn't contribute to this donation drive, as I don't feel that my personal finances as a zookeeper are my strongest asset for contributing to amphibian conservation

However, to play devil's advocate to what is now a clear leader in this donation drive...

Both of the hellbender populations being assessed in #9 fall within areas which were glaciated during the Wisconsinan (most recent) glaciation event, ending roughly 10,000 years ago. Although the Susquehanna River is unique in that it contains the only hellbender population which does not reside within the Mississippi River watershed, 10,000 years is a blink of an eye in terms of salamander mitochondrial genetics and I think it is highly unlikely that much, if any, genetic differentiation would be detectable between these two rivers. Broader scope genetic analyses have already been conducted on this species (Sabatino and Routman 2008; Routman et al. 1994; Routman 1993) which, as expected, showed that the deep genetic divergences occur in the southern populations. Sabatino and Routman (2008) included samples from both the Susquehanna and Ohio River watersheds and found them to be indistinguishable. Though this study may provide data which helps the state of New York allocate it's hellbender research resources, it probably won't have a major impact on salamander (or even hellbender) conservation writ large.

Though the hellbender's plight is extremely serious, a LOT of research attention and funding (relative to other salamanders) has already been directed at this species. It is on the verge of being federally listed, which will likely result in this attention and funding being vastly increased.

In the interest of transparency, it should be pointed out that I am affiliated with one of the other applications indirectly. It wasn't an easy decision to comment in this thread, because of that potential bias, though in the end I figure that I am a caudata.org member who may have more information at his disposal than others do, and my input might be useful. My comments above stem from my experience with salamander genetics rather than a bias towards other applications. I want to see this grant be used in a way which provides the greatest salamander conservation bang for your donation buck :)

-Tim

Last edited by Jan; 15th March 2009 at 19:30. Reason: clarification
Old 15th March 2009   #42 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Just an fyi, there will be a second poll based on the applications that got most votes. I'm still mulling over whether or not this next poll will be decided by a committee or a poll like this one.
Old 19th March 2009   #43 (permalink)
Jan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

John - any further thoughts on the method to be used to make the grant award?
Old 19th March 2009   #44 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I'm going to take the applications that received 2 or more votes and form a small committee to decide which should get the grant. I'll try to have this going in the next few days.
Old 19th March 2009   #45 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

The final decision rests now with the grant committee: Grant Proposals for Committee

Tags
caudata.org, caudataorg, grant, poll