The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Soldier flies

This is a discussion on Soldier flies within the Flies/Fly Maggots forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried to culture these before? The "phoenix worms" as they are more commonly known ...

Flies/Fly Maggots For the discussion of flies (Dipterids) other than fruitflies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: audrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Soldier flies

Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried to culture these before? The "phoenix worms" as they are more commonly known are supposed to be pretty nutritious for amphibs.

audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've heard of people culturing them. It's my understanding they need a lot of room. I heard the flies need to do a ritual mating flight before they mate. I do remember one of the worm suppliers was offering soldier fly breeding kits. I don't know waht's involved in the kit. Maybe the flight isn't necessary.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Soldier flies

Is there anyone who had luck breeding these indoor? I just got a cup of 150 small ones, and their nutritional values are very interesting. I coulnd't find any info on the mid-air mating ritual being neccesary or not for them to breed.

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11

I've cultured them outside during the warmer months fairly well. They're native throughout much of the US, so you just need to attract them and wait for them to take over the culture bin. It was pretty nice, but took forever for them to find it (~ a month). Once they're there, they produce pheromones that draw in the others, and you do great.

I tried some stuff indoors, but that was something of a disaster that I'd prefer not to talk about . . .

onetwentysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentysix View Post
I've cultured them outside during the warmer months fairly well. They're native throughout much of the US, so you just need to attract them and wait for them to take over the culture bin. It was pretty nice, but took forever for them to find it (~ a month). Once they're there, they produce pheromones that draw in the others, and you do great.

I tried some stuff indoors, but that was something of a disaster that I'd prefer not to talk about . . .
Thanks for the reply. Not everyone lives in the US though I guess it's just not easily doable indoors. It would probably involve a pretty big enclosure.

Old 10th December 2008   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11

You might want to check around; they've been introduced to a lot of countries, unfortunately, and there's a chance they might be in Europe as well. I know they've been introduced to Hawaii and Australia.

You could always try a shed of some sort, or a room with containers for them to breed in closed off to the rest of the house (they probably don't smell, but you'll need something to collect the larvae leaving the food and a container for them to pupate it). You just don't want the larvae crawling out and all over your house.

Be careful they don't escape though; last thing you want is to establish them if they haven't already been introduced to the wild there. The adults only live a few days and then they die, but sometimes that's all it takes.

Old 11th December 2008   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: bobberly1 has shown reliable knowledgebobberly1 has shown reliable knowledge

I think few people can devote a room to sodier flies Peter. :) Also, when you opened the door, wouldn't they flee?

I am interested in cultivating these though, phoenix worms are so good and so expensive.

bobberly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Naw, 95% of the time, you have no flies. And assuming they bred, they'd mostly be hanging around the larvae tub. Or trying to get out the window. Then they're dead within 3 days and you vacuum up the corpses.

They really don't use much space or anything, and they're a good way to dispose of uneaten food. The problem with having them in your house is that if the larvae escape to go pupate or for bad conditions, they can travel a long distance and you might find them just about anywhere in the house. . .

Old 11th December 2008   #9 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Check out this past thread:

soldier fly larvae

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Is there anything known about ideal breeding temps? I could use my newt room...Just as a test. The first time there wouldn't be many flies, just the remaining 20-30 larvae will pupate, so not much vacuuming work in that case ... I'm just worried about the stench of a suitable food substrate.

Old 12th February 2009   #11 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I was told they need exposure to the outdoors(natural light) to mate successfully. Very dissapointed. Is that not the case? I wonder if handpairing as is done for butterflies would work?

I think the adult flies would be neat food items for terrestrial caudates, and definetly for treefrogs.

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flies, soldier

LinkBack