The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Termites?

This is a discussion on Termites? within the Flies/Fly Maggots forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Just to be sure...I had a very sheltered upbringing as far as bugs are concerned... These are termites, whose praises ...

Flies/Fly Maggots For the discussion of flies (Dipterids) other than fruitflies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2008   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Termites?

Just to be sure...I had a very sheltered upbringing as far as bugs are concerned...

These are termites, whose praises Cameron is always singing?
Whatever they are, my yearling T. grans love them. They are at the edge of my property under some blocks I use as a pathway. I just want to be sure that these are actually termites (and I am willingly bringing them into my wooden house, before I make an appointment to get my head examined).
Attached Thumbnails
Termites?-termines01sm.jpg   Termites?-termites02sm.jpg  

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: krk11 has given good advice and informationkrk11 has given good advice and informationkrk11 has given good advice and information
Default Re: termites?

Yes Dawn, those are termites. Are you sure you want to bring them into your house?

krk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: termites?

Yep, those are termites. Your T. grans should definately love them. It is okay to bring them into your house, they don't live off of wood. They eat a kind of fungus that they grow from chewed up wood in different chambers of the nest called gardens, so if bring them in your house they probably won't do any damage, unless the entire colony moves in.

Note: Soldier termites(the ones with the huge mandibles) will bite you and your newts so I would try to avoid those as best as possible.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
termites

LinkBack