The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Risks with using maggots?

This is a discussion on Risks with using maggots? within the Flies/Fly Maggots forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; if i were to culture maggots from the common house fly would there be any risks with transferring disease, parasites ...

Flies/Fly Maggots For the discussion of flies (Dipterids) other than fruitflies.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By louise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FredLikesNewts has started on the right path
Default Risks with using maggots?

if i were to culture maggots from the common house fly would there be any risks with transferring disease, parasites or harmful thigns to my salamanders? Also if i were to get maggots would they be eaten by two lined (e. Bislineata) larvae or any other aquatic newts/salamanders?

FredLikesNewts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11
Default Re: Risks with using maggots?

There are some risks with using house flies. I know there are significant risks regarding disease transmission to humans; whether or not this is the case with amphibians, I don't know; I'd imagine they would be susceptible. The maggots would be a good food item, but unless you can control the breeding conditions of the flies there remains potential for disease.

You could try culturing the maggots in containers that prevent flies from entering and leaving, to minimize the risks, but it seems like a lot of risk for minimal reward.

onetwentysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I do have an amusing anecdote involving a Demognathus welteri vomiting up dozens of maggots in my now fiancee's hand (knew she was a keeper when she laughed about that!). The salamanders in that stream were clearly exploiting the abundance of a nearby VERY rancid deer carcass.

I've also fed maggots extensively to Eurycea of various species for a few years with no adverse effects. However these were purchased from Grubco. From what they come packed in it seems that Grubco uses ground up fish bones/meal as a food source.

Last edited by taherman; 26th July 2008 at 02:35. Reason: typo
taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok i think i may take a shot at culturing maggots but only if i cannot find a suitable food source.

would fruit fly culturing methods work for house flies?

Old 27th July 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 4
Rep: louise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.org

You can buy tubs of maggots from fish bait shops. Ask for the undyed ones.

louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thats good to know, although im not sure i know of any bait shops around where i live, but i think ill search for some now.

Tags
maggots, maggots?, risks

LinkBack