The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Wingless Houseflies?

This is a discussion on Wingless Houseflies? within the Flies/Fly Maggots forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Does anyone know a source for wingless/flightless houseflies (NOT Drosophila)? Both the maggots and the adults would be great for ...

Flies/Fly Maggots For the discussion of flies (Dipterids) other than fruitflies.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SnakeDancer
  • 1 Post By Fishfur

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SnakeDancer has given good advice and informationSnakeDancer has given good advice and informationSnakeDancer has given good advice and information
Default Wingless Houseflies?

Does anyone know a source for wingless/flightless houseflies (NOT Drosophila)? Both the maggots and the adults would be great for animals who need larger prey than Drosophila. I could swear I saw these advertised years ago, but no one seems to have them now.

In the summer I sometimes harvest maggots "from the wild" by leaving out a dead mouse (leftover snake food) in a flower box atop my fence. Within a few days there are maggots. This year I'm hoping to try out the black soldier fly culture too. But if I could find the wingless houseflies, that would be a nice all-year source of food....

SnakeDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Wingless Houseflies?

I've never seen wingless, but have seen "curly winged".

I must admit I am not exactly enthusiastic about them as food. It must be the whole ick and "germy: propaganda.

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SnakeDancer has given good advice and informationSnakeDancer has given good advice and informationSnakeDancer has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper View Post
I've never seen wingless, but have seen "curly winged".
I must admit I am not exactly enthusiastic about them as food. It must be the whole ick and "germy: propaganda.
Well, if you're raising them indoors, you know they haven't been grown on anything nasty. :) My geckos love flies, but it's sometimes a bit of a trick to maneuver a fast flying insect into the terrarium without an escape.

I'd be happy to find curly-winged versions, they don't have to be wingless - just flightless. Do you remember where they were available, by chance?

SnakeDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RainFrog is an unknown quantity at this point

At one time, I believe Arizona Dendrobates Ranch was working with them, but I haven't heard anymore about it in years.

The problem (other than the nasty smell and spread of pathogenic bacteria) is the breeding cycle. Houseflies need significantly more ventilation than drosophila. They cannot be cultured in fruit fly jars. Another problem is getting them to lay eggs. They need something stinky to lay eggs on, and then one must transfer the egg laying site to a jar with medium.

RainFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Fishfur is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you considered bean beetles ? They are dead easy to raise, needing nothing but dry beans, such as black eye pea, mung or adzuki bean. No water, no food. Adults live about two weeks, black, crawl pretty fast, can be dusted. Don't fly, adults are about a quarter inch long.

Fishfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 22
Rep: AnimlEnthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Wingless Houseflies?

I've been wondering the same thing!
Someone posted some links on my post, that you might also be interested in.
Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDancer View Post
Does anyone know a source for wingless/flightless houseflies (NOT Drosophila)? Both the maggots and the adults would be great for animals who need larger prey than Drosophila. I could swear I saw these advertised years ago, but no one seems to have them now.

In the summer I sometimes harvest maggots "from the wild" by leaving out a dead mouse (leftover snake food) in a flower box atop my fence. Within a few days there are maggots. This year I'm hoping to try out the black soldier fly culture too. But if I could find the wingless houseflies, that would be a nice all-year source of food....

Add to my rep if you find anything I have said useful.
AnimlEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
houseflies, houseflies?, wingless

LinkBack