The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New Article: Calci Worms (Black Soldier Fly larvae)

This is a discussion on New Article: Calci Worms (Black Soldier Fly larvae) within the Flies/Fly Maggots forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi All, Please check out: Using Black Soldier Fly Larvae (Calci Worms) as Amphibian/Reptile Food Comments and questions appreciated, Thanks, ...

Flies/Fly Maggots For the discussion of flies (Dipterids) other than fruitflies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2011   #1 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default New Article: Calci Worms (Black Soldier Fly larvae)

Hi All,

Please check out:

Using Black Soldier Fly Larvae (Calci Worms) as Amphibian/Reptile Food

Comments and questions appreciated,

Thanks, Frank

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: New Article: Calci Worms (Black Soldier Fly larvae)

Thank you for the article.

I've had strange experience with Calci worms. The first time I got them for my caudates, they were white and soft, similar to waxworms. The second time - from the same supplier - light brown with hard shells which they seemed to shed all the time. The first type didn't seem to be a big hit with the animals and I didn't use the second type because they seemed too hard for caudates.
Are different species of insect sold as Calci worms or why were they so different?

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Here is a link to a discussion about calci worms :-
The Phoenix Worm Experiment

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011   #4 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Hi Eva,

Thanks for you note; glad you enjoyed. Interesting...I've come across brown pupae but not larvae of that color here in the US. But different species mat be available in the UK, sold under same name...I'll check with a contact and see if I can find any further info, Best, frank

Old 28th January 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tcbemis has started on the right path

Hi... I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a try. We've been purchasing both Calciworms and Reptiworms for you our A. Maculatum. They prefer the Calciworms for whatever reason, even though they smell like vinegar and are $3.99 for roughly 7 larvae (we're feeding 6, obviously that makes no sense and I don't know why Petco sells such small amounts). The Reptiworms are healthier looking and much more cost effective. We've been getting them online.
The reason some are black and some are cream colored is due to molting; they get nearly black before they molt, moving onto another "size".

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

tcbemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015   #6 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbemis View Post
Hi... I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a try. We've been purchasing both Calciworms and Reptiworms for you our A. Maculatum. They prefer the Calciworms for whatever reason, even though they smell like vinegar and are $3.99 for roughly 7 larvae (we're feeding 6, obviously that makes no sense and I don't know why Petco sells such small amounts). The Reptiworms are healthier looking and much more cost effective. We've been getting them online.
The reason some are black and some are cream colored is due to molting; they get nearly black before they molt, moving onto another "size".

Thanks very much for that info.

Seems very expensive...are you using earthworms as well?...always accepted, easy to rear and very good as a basis of the diet. Best, Frank

Old 29th January 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tcbemis has started on the right path

Yes, although they don't like the red wigglers, they prefer our (currently frozen) garden earthworms. But if we scald and cut the reds, they'll take them. 😊

tcbemis is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack