The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store


Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

This is a discussion on Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots within the Flies/Fly Maggots forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; [I'm sorry if someone else has already posted this exact question, but I didn't see quite what I'm looking for.] ...

Flies/Fly Maggots For the discussion of flies (Dipterids) other than fruitflies.

Reply

 

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2014   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
AnimlEnthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 33
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 22
Rep: AnimlEnthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

[I'm sorry if someone else has already posted this exact question, but I didn't see quite what I'm looking for.]

I need to know what species of flightless flies are available. (I am not talking about fruit flies, because those are too small.) I am considering starting some type of fly culture, because I know many of my pets would enjoy eating maggots, and flies seem to be extremely fast breeders of many offspring.

Quite honestly, the idea of this grosses me out! But, I would be will to do this anyway, if I can find something that matches what I am looking for. Specifically, I am looking for a type of fly that is flightless, is preferably less smelly or germy, and that produces maggots the size of a housefly or larger. -- What fly species fit into those parameters, and where would I be able to purchase some flies (or maggots) to start my culture?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I'm curious: would axolotls be interested in a food of that type (maggots)?



__________________
Wishlist: Axolotls (a few) - still deciding colors, but definitely:
vibrantly-colored
(GFP) Golden Albino with lots of iridophores, & a melanoid albino.
Add to my rep if you find anything I have said useful.
AnimlEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
asfouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 125
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: asfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

It has been a while since I posted here


If I am not mistaken the availability of any other fly as a culture method is virtually non-existent. I believe, and this is just conjecture, that it has to do with the food source of most flies. Most flies lay eggs on food sources that would not be appealing to keep, in example: feces, rotting corpses, and the fruits of exotic plants. I am not entirely sure if you can get your hands on these flies, but the flies used for maggot therapy by hospitals are green bottle flies (which is actually a name applied to multiple blowfly species). You would have to keep a culture of dead tissue, but it may just work. I didn't catch where you're from but they are really common over here in Washington. Also, most maggots have a high fat content, meaning they float. May be difficult to feed to an axolotl unless he is tweezer trained.


Also it should be noted that wild caught cultures should go through many generations before being used in your home as you do not want to introduce foreign parasites to your animals, and the culture should be sterile. Also flightless gene is more common than you may think in the wild so breeding 100% flightless flies wouldn't be hard to do if you had to. I think for fruitflies (Drosophila melanogaster) it's something crazy like 36% offspring of two heterozygous individuals. It's been too long since I took genetics though so I can't remember.



__________________
"Nothing endures but change" Heraclitus

Last edited by asfouts; 13th May 2014 at 19:03.
asfouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
AnimlEnthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 33
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 22
Rep: AnimlEnthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

Thanks for replying. I was looking for something that didn't involve anything gross. Also, I am looking for a type of fly that does not fly, and is approximately the same size as a housefly (or a little larger). (I don't care if it has wings or not, so long as it does not fly.)

Thanks for telling me about fattier foods sometimes floating. I would be either tweezer feeding or hand feeding some food types (anything that floats).

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfouts View Post
It has been a while since I posted here


If I am not mistaken the availability of any other fly as a culture method is virtually non-existent. I believe, and this is just conjecture, that it has to do with the food source of most flies. Most flies lay eggs on food sources that would not be appealing to keep, in example: feces, rotting corpses, and the fruits of exotic plants. I am not entirely sure if you can get your hands on these flies, but the flies used for maggot therapy by hospitals are green bottle flies (which is actually a name applied to multiple blowfly species). You would have to keep a culture of dead tissue, but it may just work. I didn't catch where you're from but they are really common over here in Washington. Also, most maggots have a high fat content, meaning they float. May be difficult to feed to an axolotl unless he is tweezer trained.


Also it should be noted that wild caught cultures should go through many generations before being used in your home as you do not want to introduce foreign parasites to your animals, and the culture should be sterile. Also flightless gene is more common than you may think in the wild so breeding 100% flightless flies wouldn't be hard to do if you had to. I think for fruitflies (Drosophila melanogaster) it's something crazy like 36% offspring of two heterozygous individuals. It's been too long since I took genetics though so I can't remember.



__________________
Wishlist: Axolotls (a few) - still deciding colors, but definitely:
vibrantly-colored
(GFP) Golden Albino with lots of iridophores, & a melanoid albino.
Add to my rep if you find anything I have said useful.
AnimlEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member
 
xxianxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 2,476
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

Google curly winged flies



__________________
Axolotls available, wild type, copper, golden albino. P.waltl, Golden mantella, E.tricolor, T.verrucosus, I.a.alpestris, B.variagata, A.andersoni available now. Pm for details.
xxianxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
AnimlEnthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 33
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 22
Rep: AnimlEnthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

Ok, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
Google curly winged flies



__________________
Wishlist: Axolotls (a few) - still deciding colors, but definitely:
vibrantly-colored
(GFP) Golden Albino with lots of iridophores, & a melanoid albino.
Add to my rep if you find anything I have said useful.
AnimlEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
AnimlEnthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 33
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 22
Rep: AnimlEnthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

Do you know their scientific name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
Google curly winged flies



__________________
Wishlist: Axolotls (a few) - still deciding colors, but definitely:
vibrantly-colored
(GFP) Golden Albino with lots of iridophores, & a melanoid albino.
Add to my rep if you find anything I have said useful.
AnimlEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014   #7 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Jennewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 54
Posts: 12,378
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimlEnthusiast View Post
Do you know their scientific name?
There was some buzz years ago that someone had developed a flightless house fly, but I haven't seen anything about them recently. Here is an old post from dendroboard:
What ever happend the the new "wingless HOUSE flies&quo - Dendroboard

Here is a supplier for house fly larvae, if that helps.
Feeders & Supplies - Mantis Pets - Home of the Praying Mantis

If you want maggots, it sure seems a lot easier to buy them than to grow them.



__________________
Useful Links: Caresheets | Newt & Salamander FAQs | Axolotl FAQs |My website | Forum Rules.
Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
AnimlEnthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 33
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 22
Rep: AnimlEnthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need to know about Flightless Flies/Maggots

Ok, thank you so much! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
There was some buzz years ago that someone had developed a flightless house fly, but I haven't seen anything about them recently. Here is an old post from dendroboard:
What ever happend the the new "wingless HOUSE flies&quo - Dendroboard

Here is a supplier for house fly larvae, if that helps.
Feeders & Supplies - Mantis Pets - Home of the Praying Mantis

If you want maggots, it sure seems a lot easier to buy them than to grow them.



__________________
Wishlist: Axolotls (a few) - still deciding colors, but definitely:
vibrantly-colored
(GFP) Golden Albino with lots of iridophores, & a melanoid albino.
Add to my rep if you find anything I have said useful.
AnimlEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flightless fly larvae, flightless or wingless, maggots, will axolotls eat maggots

LinkBack
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best flightless/wingless fruit fly seller online? Lamb Flies/Fly Maggots 10 21st February 2014 06:48
Flightless now flying? jungleboy01 Off-Topic 2 3rd December 2013 12:21
House Flies & Maggots findi Flies/Fly Maggots 0 6th September 2013 01:48
I Ordered Some Flightless Fruit Flys. They Came Without Instructions. Brie Newt and Salamander Help 1 15th August 2009 03:05
Flightless Fruit Flies? Gamachii Axolotl General Discussion 4 2nd November 2007 02:18


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01.