The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

A question about springtails

This is a discussion on A question about springtails within the Springtails (Collembolla), Firebrats, Silverfish, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I'm trying to find out if it is possible to get a hold of some of the larger kinds of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2005   #1 (permalink)
ester

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm trying to find out if it is possible to get a hold of some of the larger kinds of springtails (5mm). Does anyone have info on this?

Old 26th July 2005   #2 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Ester,
There are many species of springtail, 6000+ known, and estimates of upto 50,000 with unknowns. There is a good chance that a species that achieves 5mm lives in Germany where you are. I've had success collecting larger ones using a small "pooter" (made out of a 35mm film canister)and a bit of patience. If you place soil and leaflitter in a tub it will be easier than crawling around on hands and knees! Judging by the speed they colonize tanks they wouldn't be too hard to culture. I'm not sure how long they take to grow to full size though.

Old 27th July 2005   #3 (permalink)
ester

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Turned out to be a very simple thing. I took a hand full of decaying wood chips and pieces of bark home with me and started checking. With a bit of effort I could find about 6 larger black springtails with longish antenna. They're about 5mm long. Now I've gotta wait and see if they'll breed.

Tags
question, springtails

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 44 (Set)

Allistor, andrew_taricha, araceae, athene, AuSu, Ben Krysa, browbli, bxboy57, Canecorsonewt, cfrogg711, coleb, colinalan, Crystalann0219, distefan, drew121, esnailme, firedreams, grapeape, hovey, jaster, jewett, justin, Ken Worthington, M Ali, mitchelljs, moinkable, Molch, nateb, peter5930, Peter7474, peterrobbo, petro, platinum, potogold71, RanRan, Rayliberty, seandelevan, shredder83, sims, sinomoyyhi89, Smertrios, SnakeDancer, swooping, warrior
LinkBack