The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding Springtails

This is a discussion on Feeding Springtails within the Springtails (Collembolla), Firebrats, Silverfish, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have started with a springtail culture with pea moss as subtrate. However, I should I get the springtails out ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2005   #1 (permalink)
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have started with a springtail culture with pea moss as subtrate.
However, I should I get the springtails out and feed my morphs?

Old 27th November 2005   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: justin has shown reliable knowledge

You can add water and float them out and use a spoon to collect them. That or you can add expanding peat plugs, they come in disks and expand in humdity. Those you let the springtails crawl up on and you can either put them in the tank or shake them off the plug. I have used either method. In Ecuador the lab would use and turkey baster and blow the springtails off the peat and into another cup. This works best only when you have a great deal of them to harvest. I had switched to using leca or gravel and a bit of water-- to collect I flooded them and poured the water into another cup. This I dumped into the tanks.
j

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2005   #3 (permalink)
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have tried the flooding method suggested. but I have seen one problem. The problem is that I am pouring too much water into the soil of the tank. but I dont want to accumulate too much moisture in the tank. Any suggestion?

Old 24th January 2006   #4 (permalink)
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Try flooding the container used for culturing and the pouring the water/springtails into a brine shrimp net and then just toss them into the tank.

Tags
feeding, springtails

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 54 (Set)

albear28, Allistor, andrew_taricha, AuSu, Ben Krysa, BILLY JAMES, cfrogg711, charlesbrooks, colinalan, Crystalann0219, Davo, distefan, dniel86, eftspotted, ElaineCheeko104, ErikM, esnailme, Essad96, Fer, firedreams, FredLikesNewts, instanbull, Jake Hutton, jewett, keynewt, klaydogz, lilacdragon7, M Ali, mianewt, mr cyclone, Necturus101, oceanblue, panaque, panzjr, Peter7474, potogold71, raventr, Rayliberty, ReiDragon, Risigan, sabre, sean n dad, seandelevan, ShaunO, sims, SnakeDancer, Springlizard, supergrappler, swooping, Thiago, wolves121121, xMIDNIGHTx, Yahilles, yiorgos
LinkBack