The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Critter Bug in Springtail Culture

This is a discussion on Critter Bug in Springtail Culture within the Springtails (Collembolla), Firebrats, Silverfish, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have 2 large styrofoam shipping containers measuring 18" x 18". Both containers are teeming with springtails and some other ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: esnailme has shown reliable knowledge
Default Critter Bug in Springtail Culture

I have 2 large styrofoam shipping containers measuring 18" x 18".

Both containers are teeming with springtails and some other critter.

The critter first showed up when I added leaf litter to my substrate.

Attached is an image.

Can anyone identify?
Attached Thumbnails
Critter Bug in Springtail Culture-20110928-larvae.jpg   Critter Bug in Springtail Culture-20110928-larvae-02.jpg  

esnailme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: limnologist has started on the right path
Default Re: Critter Bug in Springtail Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnailme View Post
I have 2 large styrofoam shipping containers measuring 18" x 18".

Both containers are teeming with springtails and some other critter.

The critter first showed up when I added leaf litter to my substrate.

Attached is an image.

Can anyone identify?
I have the vary same thing in my vermicompost. I cant say the scientific name but I can tell you that they are harmless, eat excess food (they result from overfeeding) and that they are commonly called compost mites or detritous mites. you can get rid of them by decreasing the rotting organic matter, get rid of all mold, and decrease the moisture level. (hard to do when your breeding springtails.)

limnologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Critter Bug in Springtail Culture

I wanted to add to what Limnologist said; you can actually turn or mix the soil a bit, I found that it discouraged the mites because they live mostly on the soil surface. If you are not careful, sometimes they take over cultures so just be careful.

LinkBack