The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How to culture silverfishes?

This is a discussion on How to culture silverfishes? within the Springtails (Collembolla), Firebrats, Silverfish, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hello! last week i ordered a few cultures but i don't really know what to feed the one with silverfishes ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Zhinigami is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to culture silverfishes?

Hello!
last week i ordered a few cultures but i don't really know what to feed the one with silverfishes so i was wondering if anyone have had them before/know the best food for them.
i don't know if this matter but they are not ''real'' silverfish but a relative which in swedish is called ugnssmyg (ugn = oven and smyg = sneak) i don't know what they really are called in english
cheers!

Zhinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: How to culture silverfishes?

I think the oven sneak gives you a hint. They need to be very warm to culture. When I received a culture of silver fish and read the culture info I decided they need it to warm for me to culture in a cool salamander house. I used them all for food and moved on.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Yes, Michael is right, they are probably more trouble than they're worth. I too gave up on mine after keeping them on a heat mat for a few months with no real growth in numbers. I dread to think how much electricity was used to produce a handful of bugs.... We call them firebrats here.

They need to be kept at a constant 32 - 40+ C and the enclosure must be very dry. Feed them fish flakes.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kiathepooch has shown reliable knowledge

I had loads of these living in my bathroom light at my old house. Wish I'd have known what they were!

Sent from my YP-GI1 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Jacquie; 26th January 2013 at 23:01. Reason: Changed "liking" to "living". ;-)
kiathepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks for all the answers!
well the need for heat will probably not be a problem since we got a floor heating in the bathroom, i use to have my mealworm puppaes there, it doesnt get all to dry thought... so just normal fish flakes? well il keep you posted on how it goes :) !

Old 28th January 2013   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: FX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I only know how to kill them (bug spray)
not culture them >_<

These forums make me appreciate creepy crawlies so much more 0.0 everything is tasty to someone nom

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Silver fish and fires brats both like it hot. Silverfish need conditions to be humid. You could try keeping them in a plastic container with with a few small holes in the top. On flattened paper towel tubes. With a damp paper towel folded in the corner for humidity. They like starch, Try fish flakes as food. The escape easily and they don't reproduce in great numbers. Not really worth the trouble. I tossed my culture a long time ago.

Old 28th January 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

well since they already are ordered i guess i can at least try them out and if not i just feed them to my newts, thanks again for all the help!

Tags
culture, fish, oven, silver, silver fish, silverfish, sneak, ugnsmyg

LinkBack