The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What is the easiest/cheapest method to a successful brine shrimp hatchery?

This is a discussion on What is the easiest/cheapest method to a successful brine shrimp hatchery? within the Daphnia, Moina, brine shrimp, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; These brine shrimp will be fed to my axolotl/betta fish fry....

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SnotOtter
  • 1 Post By michael

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Isabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the easiest/cheapest method to a successful brine shrimp hatchery?

These brine shrimp will be fed to my axolotl/betta fish fry.

Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: What is the easiest/cheapest method to a successful brine shrimp hatchery?

There are many great threads about brine shrimp hatching on this site. I recommend you do a search on the subject.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: SnotOtter has started on the right path
Default Re: What is the easiest/cheapest method to a successful brine shrimp hatchery?

Inverted 2 liter drink bottles are my preferred method. The poor mans hatching cones. Its easier to aerate, clean, setup new batches and collect the shrimp while leaving the hatched capsules behind. I can post some pics of my setup if youre interested. I'd recommend doing some homework though. The more info you have the better chances of success.

Cheers

SnotOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I prefer the 2 liter soda bottle hatchery. The real trick is being certain to have good quality eggs that have been kept properly. Often cysts you get at a pet store are not in good shape.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge
Thumbs up Re: What is the easiest/cheapest method to a successful brine shrimp hatchery?

I just mixed 11/2 tbs of aquarium salt to a half gallon water. Took about 8 cups of my salt water pinch of baking soda less than 1/4 tsp of bbs . Put in a 8x6 plastic container sturd it up. Put by window no light bulb or air pump. There hatching as i write it is slow. It has been 24 hours about 25% of the eggs hatched so far. It has been snowing here so not much sun. Plus its about 65 f 18 c by the window . Cant get to much cheaper no pump no light no electricity.

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

This thread contains information that should clarify all you need. The first post contains links to threads of users giving build guides for the hatchery.

Raising baby axolotls with baby brine shrimp (bbs)

Tags
brine shrimp hatchery, cheap, easy, success

LinkBack