The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Buying Daphnia eggs online? Abd dry, at that?

This is a discussion on Buying Daphnia eggs online? Abd dry, at that? within the Daphnia, Moina, brine shrimp, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi all, I was trying to figure out what to feed a salamander larva that I got from a Michigan ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: Bill B has started on the right path
Default Buying Daphnia eggs online? Abd dry, at that?

Hi all,

I was trying to figure out what to feed a salamander larva that I got from a Michigan (USA) pond, and since I have no local source of blackworms anymore, I looked into some other possibilities

I saw a link to a company that sells dry Daphnia eggs... that you supposedly culture to produce the live Daphnia. Is this for real? I have a hard time thinking that dry eggs of an aquatic invertebrate would produce anything.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5127256...PoLhoCjabw_wcB

Bill

Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Buying Daphnia eggs online? Abd dry, at that?

Daphnia produce resting eggs under poor conditions and these can be dried out and hatched years later. In my experience of buying them on ebay on and off over the years, most sellers' eggs either don't hatch or hatch very few Daphnia. It's not a refined industry like Brine Shrimp eggs.

Now I haven't purchased from that seller so I can't speak to the quality of their product.

But on the topic of blackworms, I buy blackworms from Eastern Aquatics on a regular basis and I have no complaints. Yes the shipping can hurt but if you keep the worms correctly they can last for months. They even offer a discount just for Caudata.org: Live Blackworm Specials for Caudata Members

LinkBack