The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Culturing Moina

This is a discussion on Culturing Moina within the Daphnia, Moina, brine shrimp, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I am wanting to culture some Moina for my M. alpestris eggs that are developing - Moina instead of Daphnia ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2007   #1 (permalink)
heather

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am wanting to culture some Moina for my M. alpestris eggs that are developing - Moina instead of Daphnia since they Moina are smaller - but wanted to get some input about them. From what I have read on John Clare's article the culturing of the Moina is very similar to that of daphnia. Has anyone else cultured them and could echo this, or have anything else to add? Oh, and I am only wanting to raise the Moina because I am worried that my blackworms, even when chopped up, will still be too big for such small newt larvae.
Thanks in advance,
Heather

Old 20th February 2007   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hello Heather
Yes moina can be cultured the same way as daphnia, however in my experience, moina cultures do better if kept in medium sized glass jars eg coffee jars, feed sparingly, and put on a windowsill that doesn't catch too much direct sunlight.
I have cultured mine in tanks with regular water changes etc, but found that lots of little cultures in glass jars produces many more moina to use to feed to newt larvae.

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007   #3 (permalink)
heather

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks so much Morg. I do have several glass jars that I think will work well. I was thinking of keeping the culture outside once the weather gets warmer, but the windowsill idea will work for me
Heather

Tags
culturing, moina

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 23 (Set)

Ajpaj, arrowwood, azeam, caudatadude28, Davo, ellroy, End, Ezequiel Nahuel, froggy, holmeperos, KJ_29, ljl, meganlangreck, miritbarkan5, morg, NeilBalchan, nilo22, nora, pesco, Piergiuseppe, slimer, triturusboscai, VegasMudd
LinkBack